Athlon 64 3200+ s939

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

How much better (or worse) is an Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 than a 2.26 Northwood or an XP 2800+ or a 3.2 Prescott?

It completely kills the Northwood, the XP 2800+, and manages to beat the 3.2 GHZ Prescott easily.

Great processor, I have it and performs like a champ :)

KK ty guys! Im gonna buy it... once I can figure out how to make sure I get a Venice core not a Winchester :p

I have the Venice core, it's fast for a cheap processor, and it overclocks to 2.5GHz on stock voltage and stock cooling(i didn't try to go any higher, this is fast enough for me).

Good luck on your search.

Ok 2 questions:

1.) When you say you got it to 2.5 was that with a locked PCI/AGP bus or were they unlocked?

2.) What does 2.5 ghz = in terms of the Processor Name like 3200+ or 3800+

Damn... I wont be able to get to that prob cuz the mobo im getting doesnt have AGP/PCI lock...

MetalX said:
Damn... I wont be able to get to that prob cuz the mobo im getting doesnt have AGP/PCI lock...
Neither does mine, but I manually set the PCI-E frequency and leave it at 100. I don't use any of the PCI slots nor do I have an AGP slot so it's all good for me.(unless I'm totally misunderstanding what a PCI/AGP bus lock is:haha: )

Also; if some expert on the A64's happens to pass by this, is there a general way to calculate the rating(3200+ etc) when a certain chip is overclocked?

EDIT

Here's my results from SIS sandra:

Look! I owned that Pentium Pro 200mhz! /ego

whats your budget? because you could get a 4000+ near the price of what i paid for a 3500+ 3 months ago lol

and, that was cheap haha

i_am_a_newbie said:
Neither does mine, but I manually set the PCI-E frequency and leave it at 100. I don't use any of the PCI slots nor do I have an AGP slot so it's all good for me.(unless I'm totally misunderstanding what a PCI/AGP bus lock is:haha: )

Also; if some expert on the A64's happens to pass by this, is there a general way to calculate the rating(3200+ etc) when a certain chip is overclocked?

EDIT

Here's my results from SIS sandra:

Look! I owned that Pentium Pro 200mhz! /ego
You've sort of missed the point of a AGP/PCI lock... lol. It doesn't just lock the AGP and PCI slots, it also locks the speed of pretty much EVERYTHING else including the HDD tranfer rate. If the HDD speed goes up too high you can corrupt your data. I got my Athlon 3200 to 2.3 ghz so far and i will go higher soon as long as it remains stable.

MetalX said:
You've sort of missed the point of a AGP/PCI lock... lol. It doesn't just lock the AGP and PCI slots, it also locks the speed of pretty much EVERYTHING else including the HDD tranfer rate. If the HDD speed goes up too high you can corrupt your data. I got my Athlon 3200 to 2.3 ghz so far and i will go higher soon as long as it remains stable.
Yeah...no option for that in my BIOS.

And this is supposed to be "a very powerful motherboard for overclocking" according to some reviews, also by a lot of people on extremeoverclocking.

whtddusy516 said:
whats your budget? because you could get a 4000+ near the price of what i paid for a 3500+ 3 months ago lol

and, that was cheap haha
I dont want to get anything faster than a 3200+ right now. I am planning to get an X2 or FX57 eventually but for the moment my 3200+ is doin great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back