Athlon 64 thermal grease needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building a new system with a ASYS case w/450W power supply, 2x 256Mb DDR400 RAM, AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard, and an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU (Venice model# ADA3200BPBOX - retail).

The installation video doesn't show any sort of thermal paste or grease application before mounting the fan and explains that the fan has a "thermal interface material pre-applied on the bottom" which makes it very confusing. Is this to be used instead of the normal thermal grease?

The "Installation Instructions" that come with the processor say:
Thermal interface material is required for all AMD processors. Use only the recommended thermal interface material for this processor (see Thermal CoolingGuideline on AMD's website for a complete list of approced materail for the specific processor you are using).
but their website either hides this information really well or you have to register (which it failed to allow me to do using my FireFox browser) to get the help I needed.

The "Installation Instructions" do go on to say:
  • If you remove the heatsink/fan after initial installation, you must first clean surface and apply new thermal interface material before reinstalling the heatsink/fan on your processor.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. Do I not use any thermal paste, grease, spray, or anything in conjunction with the fan that came with the processor?
Should I use the generic Silicon Compound (Sil More brand) that I have or is something else needed?

I'd love to hear from anyone with some first-hand knowledge or reliable expertise with this processor.

Thanks,
Epoch

i built my computer last summer with a 3000+ Venice. The stock heatsink+fan (they come pre-assembled) comes with this patch of conductive material (appears as a square patch of grey substance) under the heatsink, which is what they mean by "it is pre-applied on the bottom". It is covered by a piece of transparent plastic. Just look under the heatsink, you can't miss it.

all stock AMD or intel fans come with pre heated thermal pads that are already on the bottom of the heatsink/fan attachment... when you turn on assemble it and the CPU heats up...it burns the pad which requires cleaning if you ever remove the heatsink/fan assembly later on...so you do not need to apply anything to the heatsink fan since your CPU is not going to get too hott...unless you plan to overclock....

Thanks LipsOfVenom,
That answers what I needed to know but I do intend to overclock at least at some point. Maybe not right away (I want to make sure everything works initially first) but once the system has been going smoothly for a couple fo days I'll start looking at overclocking options.

The case includes a side fan (and mounting holes two more below the power supply). Would you recommend adding a layer of thermal grease now (if at all) before going any further? Or can I safely do that later on?

If the heatsink assembly DOES come with a thermal pad that's all you need now and OCing. BUT if you remove the heatsink in the future the pad will need to be cleaned off thoroughly (heatsink and CPU sides) and either replaced or use thermal compound then. Don't use both.

Thanks Kirock and others.

It's always so much more reassuring getting these questions cleared up than it is frying your new CPU.

Thanks again,
Epoch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back