Athlon FX beats Intel's P4@3.2GHz

By Nic
Sep 2, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Looks like AMD's new *budget* processor is a real rocket ...

2. Steg

Steg Newcomer, in training Posts: 422

Wow! Nice!
    <quote>In 3Dstudio Max, a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz with HT is about 10 per cent faster if you render just one frame but in a complete scene that you want to render took exactly the same in both systems.</quote>
    How does this work? If the Intel is quicker drawing one frame surely its quicker overall when drawing 100 or 1000?

Steg
  3. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,928

Not sure entirely, but it might have something to do with the overhead of setting up the CPU to process the frames. On small jobs this overhead will be noticed, but on larger tasks the faster cpu makes up ground. A bit like a production line, where it takes a lot of effort to get the first product off the line, but those that follow take much less time. :confused:
  4. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

Umm, its not really that good. Great that the up comming Athlon beats the p4, but dont forget Intel are gonna have their latest creation in the ring soon too. If they new Athlon can only out do the P4 by 9% in Q3, imagine how Intel's next contender will be. Once again AMD will be slightly behind, however still in my favor ;) (hopefully)
  5. conradguerrero

conradguerrero Newcomer, in training Posts: 357

thats what the report says steg...

this is similar somewhat in how certain (older) video cards performed better at lower resolutions.
  6. Nic

Remember that Athlon FX is AMD's budget replacement for Duron, and not the Athlon64, or Opteron, which will be top dogs and 64 bit capable.
  7. somekid007

somekid007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 369

:'(
    why did i have to buy an i865 systen>?!?!?! why???
  8. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I think there's a bit of confusion on the naming of futur Athlon CPUs.

The Athlon64 FX is the desktop version of the Opteron : 1mb of L2 cache & Dual-Channel memory controller.

The Athlon FX is the Duron replacement & is basiclly a Barton with half the Cache ( I'm not sure about FSB speeds since none have been announced ).

I'm pretty sure the inquirer article is talking about the Athlon 64 FX which is in no way a budget chip.
  9. Nic

Confusion rules, but the article does mention both Athlon64 and Athlon FX, but quotes 32-bit performance figures for Athlon FX. The 64 bit version is called Athlon 64 FX, though we won't know for certain until these chips actually arrive.
  10. Greeno

Greeno Newcomer, in training Posts: 394

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.