TechSpot

Athlon X2 4400 or 4800

By buffdaddy110
Feb 10, 2006
  1. I'm getting ready to build a new computer and was wondering if it's worth it to spend the extra money on the 4800 over the 4400. Money isn't really the issue, although I won't spend $1000 on the FX-60, I just wan't to spend wisely. I may overclock some, but not much, so I basically need straight out of the box power. I do game often, but mostly recode and burn movies. I defianately want to go dual core to be future proof, and have had my mind set on the 4800, but thought I might give the 4400 some consideration since it's about $200 less. I already have an athlon 64 3400 which is 2.4 , so I want to make sure I don't lose much by going to the 2.2 X2 4400. I'm also using a 300 Gb Maxtor diamond max 10 SATA hard drive, adding 2GB OCZ ram, and a Radeon X1900XT.

2. LipsOfVenom

LipsOfVenom TS Rookie Posts: 160

you might as well go with the 4800 since your mind is already set. And I think you'll be much happier instead of always wondering why you didn't buy it.

3. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

I would go with the cheaper processor and just OC it to the speed of the more expensive one.

4. buffdaddy110

buffdaddy110 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

The question I'm trying to get answered is, overclocking aside, clock for clock is the Opteron 175 better than the X2 4400. The price is $30 more for the Opteron, but is it the better processor. I may overclock a tad but nothing extreme. I'mbuying now but I cant decide which of the two to get.

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

You didn't mention the Opteron 175 in your first post. The Opteron runs at 2.0GHz, 200MHz slower then the 4400+. Aside from that, both have the same cache, both come with a HSF unit, both have a warranty, both run +/- as cool but overclocking aside, the 4400+ will be faster of course.

Opterons costs a little more because they have a different validation process then desktop parts, but that's something completely irrelevant for a home user.

What else do you want to know ?

6. buffdaddy110

buffdaddy110 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

I made the plunge and went with the X2 4800. I hope all goes well with the install, and will report back with my likes or dislikes. I also bought an MSI K8N-NEO 4 Platinum, 2GB OCZ PC3200, and the new Thermaltake Purepower 600W 80% efficiency.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.