Athlon xp cooling question

Status
Not open for further replies.
athlon xp question

if i get say, an athlon xp 1800, will i need additional cooling/fans? (assuming i don't overclock and i have only 1 fan now)

I you buy the retail boxed version, No. AMD will supply a HSF and you will also get a 3 year warranty.

If you buy an OEM version (which is a bit cheaper) you'll get no HSF and no warranty.

Well, if you go OEM, I think you actually get a 30 day warranty. With retail, you get the fan straight from AMD, so they won't stiff you there. If you go OEM, but get a decent fan, you won't be saving money over getting the retail box... So, unless you're going to go nuts and get a super fan of some kind, just go with the retail box...

i'm getting an athlon xp + mobo combo most likely.
should i get one now or wait til summer? i'm a student, so i'll get most of my free time during summer. i won't get THAT much free time between now and then. will there be significant price drops until then?

well, the new Thoroughbred will be out in the May/June so you may want to wait for it to come out so you can see a big price drop in the XP cpu's. Prices are already good, but they will get much lower when this new technology gets released. Also, if you dont have alot of time to play around with tweaking and setup now you may as well wait a couple months..

Re: athlon xp question

Originally posted by heyzeus
if i get say, an athlon xp 1800, will i need additional cooling/fans? (assuming i don't overclock and i have only 1 fan now)

What the others said is absolutely true. One more point, you didn't specify what kinds of fans so I am also assuming you are interested in case fans as well. For the XP (and any Athlon) I would recommend a case with at least one fan up front sucking air in, and at least one fan in the back blowing air out, in addition to the power supply fan. Do not count the power supply or cpu fan. Here is what AMD says.

AMD thermal paper

I've currently been running the stock heatsink and fan that came with my 1.4 T-bird processor for a little over 4 months and had no problems. Granted I'm yearning to get a better fan, but it does the job well. You should not have to worry about putting a new fan on there unless you get the urge to overclock and lower your temperatures.

Just like what Super said, you don't need another fan than the one supplied with the CPU.

My friend just bought an Athlon XP 1600+ and he's using the stock HSF. The amazing thing is, the room he's using the comp in is rather hot. Around 30-33c. The CPU temp is around 50-57c but doesn't reach 60c. It's rather safe IMO.

50-57C? That's very bad. My CPU runs at 41C idle, with a stock HSF that came from the company I got it from, since I got a sysbo-CPU combo.

If you want your processor to last longer, and more stable, definitely get a good HSF, which usually goes for about 15-25$ I personally have a water cooling block just for the sake of being as cool as humanly possible. :) I would reccomend one, if you have the money.

Do check out uncle's link if you're planning to get an alternate HSF...

I don't know how or where some of you guys are getting your info, my XP runs at about 53c all the time. With a therman take volcano 6 cu+ (7000rpn) fan on it ?? Thats taken for the onboard thermal sensor.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/cpu/xpspec.htm
We found that an Athlon XP 1600+ CPU temperature to be around 35 - 37 degrees C. idle after settling-out 15 to 30 minutes in three computers we built with EpoX 8KHA+ motherboards, Antec KS282 computer cases, with the left side removed, and Thermaltake Valcano 5 heatsink-fans. This motherboard does not use the processor's built-in thermal diode to measure temperature. But, rather, it employees a thermister installed in the middle of the Socket A. The thermister does not quite touch the bottom of the CPU.
Reference: AMD Athlon XP Processor Model 6 Data Sheet 24309C - November 2001
http://www.amd.com/usen/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24309.pdf

Originally posted by Vehementi
50-57C? That's very bad. My CPU runs at 41C idle, with a stock HSF that came from the company I got it from, since I got a sysbo-CPU combo.

That's quite ok since the room he's in has practically no moving air whatsoever :D Painful for the processor? Yes. But what to do? His uncle doesn't want to install an air condition unit in there {g}

Anyway, heard that AXPs can go up to 60+ safely:D

Uncleel, yesturday it was me, today its you, your link isn't working right for some reason. Just a heads up. I get my temp from the built in monitor on my board. I also have a probe sitting next to the HSF and its temp is...Ok I think I have this figured out now....My Giga-Byte monitor shows my CPU temp at 53c, but my probe next to the HSF shows 34c, I believe I am seeing a false reading. Wasn't there some todo awhile ago about the locations of some probes on Athlon boards, some temps report higher than others because of their location ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back