AthlonXP Core Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Commando

My temps are fine but is there a problem with the voltage according to the jpeg attached and also the other -12v reading red.

What is the core voltage of an Athlon XP Palimino core?

Attachments

• temps&voltage.jpg
    temps&voltage.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 42
-12v has a tolerance of +/-10%, this means it can safely go from 10.8v up to 13.2v in "theory" I would say there is a problem with it as low as you have there. According to the info I have, all Athlons are 1.75v core.

The +12V is fine, do you have any idea what would be causing the -12V to be low or is it a incorrect reading by the program? :eek:

I'm no electrician but what would this mean being too low? :confused:

There are quite a few things that could cause it, the best thing would be to check it at the PSU and see if your PSU -12v is correct. Otherwise you'll have to do some tracing.

It isn't a good thing that this voltage is low and could cause some problems. Some components rely on voltages not only to run but some use them to shut off too. Some transistors switch on when a bias voltage is applied and others switch on when a bias voltage is applied. If a transistor is supposed to shut off when it is biased but too low a voltage is supplied to do this, then you could end up with a fault somewherefurther down the circuit because of too much voltage being applied. We are talking about very small voltages, but when that -12v goes through a few components it will be lowered to smaller values through some circuits.

If that is confusing, just think of it like a valve that shuts the water off when it reaches a certain level, if it doesnt shut it off, it can overflow the container.

I'm suspecting that the program i'm using "HMonitor" is just being stupid with incorrect values.

According to BIOS:

VCORE 1.76
VIO 3.47
+5V 4.81
+12V 11.73
AGP 1.48
DDR 2.56
SVSB 4.92
VBAT 2.99

According to this program:

+12V 11.67
+5V 4.82
Core +1.76
I/O +3.46
-12V 7.26 - unknown voltage reported?
-5V *greyed out
Aux *greyed out

The wrong voltages for -5 and -12 are normal. Not many modern components use those voltages any more. The -5 was used to bias the NMOS substrate on very old CPUs and I think 1702 PROMs, the -12 was used for Biasing the RS-232 1488 and 1489 driver/receiver chips. I don't know they handle it for the integrated chipsets nowadays. I have my serial and parallel ports disabled. Since nothing really uses these voltages you are seeing them in an unloaded 'standby' mode.

I've been overclocked so long I can't remember standard core voltage. I think it's 1.75. In MBM5 you can adjust the tolerance of the voltage alarm. at 5% that gives you 1.67 to 1.83 as acceptable. you might try switching to Motherboard Monitor 5.

oh right, that must be why the BIOS itself doesn't report the -5V and -12V values and some mobo programs don't either?

Thus the ones that still do like MBM5 which i've just started using are actually not needed you are saying. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back