Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

this is the specs of my dell 9150 dimension pc :

intel dual core 2.8
    chipset intel 945P
    3gig of ram
    200 HD
    power supply 600w OCz(new installation)
    my old video card is the 256mb ati Hyper memory pci-express x16(DVI//VGA/TV out) radeon x600
    19inch Flat panel display
    XP Pro SP2

j just bought the new video card Ati 2900 XT sapphire and if i look at the system requirement on the video card box, i got everything i need to run the powerfull card.

but can't seem to make it work on my pc, when i changed the vid card and try to boot, i see my pc booting but have no image on my screen. First i tried to remove the old driver it didn't work, then i tried without removing the old drivers didn't work either.

Can you help me please ?
  2. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas Newcomer, in training Posts: 718

I would try another video processor. It sounds defective.
  3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,279   +180

Did you plug in the extra power connector on the graphics card?
  4. crazysheep

crazysheep Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

on the card u can plug a power supply cable of 6pin and 8pin, i heard the 8pin was for the overdrive but u need another PCI-e slot(that i don't have).

so yes i plugged the 6pin on my power supply and i did hear the loud sound of my video card :)

i think the problem would be my motherboard since i bought my pc 2 years ago but i don't want to change until i'm sure of it.

help me please!!!
  5. crazysheep

crazysheep Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

i called the Dell support and they say that they can't help me since it's not a video card support by Dell ...

can it be the bandwidth of my motherboard(8gig/sec) ???
  6. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,048

Did they suggest you update your chipset drivers from the dell website? Thats the first thing I would do. Next I would make sure that you have the video card drivers correct.

1. Click on Start, then Control Panel, then go to Add/Remove Programs.
    2. At the top of the list you should see several ATI entries. Select the entry entitled ATI Software Uninstall Utility, and click Change/Remove.
    3. You will be prompted to restart your system once the uninstall is complete.
    4. Once restarted, check the Add/Remove Programs list again for any remaining ATI software or other drivers that you have tried.
    5. If any ATI software is still listed, click Change/Remove on those entries to uninstall each one individually.
    6. Next, please scroll through the list until you find an entry called DAO (IF THERE)
    7. Select DAO, then Click Change/Remove to uninstall this program.

1.Go to link and put in your OS and select your card from the list, hit GO.http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers
    2. Click Next on the first install screen.
    3. Click Yes to the License agreement.
    4. Click the Custom button.
    5. Select the driver, catalyst control center (if wanted) and uncheck the box for steam
    # The installer will start to load the display driver first.
    Next you will see the WDM Capture drivers load (for VIVO or All-In-Wonder).
    The Catalyst Control Center setup will start shortly after.(if selected)
    A dialog box will indicate the install progress.

6.Click Finish to restart your computer.
    Many people will get an error message at this point ->Follow below if you do.

7.Device manager-> add hardware => have disk
    8.Select the Driver location yourself which should be C:\ATI\Driver Folder\Driver
  7. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,198

So you have BOTH power slots with plugs in them?

You MUST have both power couplers with plugs in them, be it two 6-pin PCI-E, or one 8-pin PCIE + one 6-pin PCIE. The card will not work without both populated.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.