ATI 9600XT resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scol

Okay, I'm over at my in-law's and I'm using this old crappy HP Pavilion M50 monitor with my rig... some 14 or 15" ... whatever.

Anyway, I just installed the 9600XT and I noticed when I go to the Screen Saver tab under Display Properties, the monitor doesn't detect the resolution. This is at 1024x768.

When I converted the display to 800x600 and checked the Screen Saver tab, viola! It works, and I could actually see the monitor.

So do you think this is strictly a monitor resolution support issue? I know from experience that this monitor supports 640x480, however I know XP doesn't support that resolution. Could this be the problem?

I picked up that old computer around 2000 along with a Celeron 500 or something... The monitor supports 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768, but I'm thinking that once it goes to screen saver tab in windows, it reverts to some other resolution even though the screen saver isn't even running. I'm not really sure what it is...

try a different monitor if ya have one, if that doesnt work then i have no clue what it could be. i think its most likely monitor related

The moniter most likely will do 1024x768. Check your refresh rate. It probably can't do 1024x768 at anything more than 60hz, which will put a strain on your eyes after some time. Check that out. Moniters are fairly cheap now for a decent one, you could also look into getting a new one as well. Just a thought.

So does the screen saver run at a diff ref rate or something? It looks like that monitor only supports 60hz on the drop down list. In any case, whenever I go to that tab, it looks like the whole monitor refreshes as if its changing res, but is it really doing that? As I said, running Windows is fine at 1024x768 but only when I go to that tab or when I run games, it looks like it blacks out and the monitor gives that resolution message.

BTW, that's not my monitor. I just brought my tower over for some LAN games. My monitor at home runs just fine, though I'm still wondering about that issue. Like on that monitor, the one I have also refreshes the screen upon going to the screen saver tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back