ati 9700 all in wonder crashes games

Status
Not open for further replies.
a7n8x-vm/400 motherboard
xp pro with sp2
512MB ram
Athlon xp 3000

I can surf the net without any problems, but when I start to play a game, my computer crashes (half of the time). Sometimes it will play games, sometimes it will start them, but crash after an undetermined time. It usually prepares an error report that it wants to send back to Microsoft. This video card ran flawlessly on my old P3 (866Mhz). If I switch to a videocard from Nvidia my computer runs properly; but my ati kicks on my Nvidia (when it works!)

I've updated my bios, updated drivers for my motherboard and my video card, and changed my harddrive and memory.

Any suggestions? (other than "use the nvidia and trash the ati"!)

There's a few things you can try. First and formost, be sure that nothing is overclocked (For stability purposes)

Set your AGP to 4x instead of 8, turn off fast-writes, and disable write combing (all in your ATI control panel)

Give it a wirl, shouldn't notice any discenrable difference in fps, but might make an otherwise unstable sytem stable :slurp:

I would also suggest removing all of your old versions of both ATI and NVidia drivers, rebooting and reloading them. If you didn't remove them properly between switching back and forth it could be conflicting somehow.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Ahhh! This is the error report, if it helps.
I tried the suggestions and thought it worked, but my video card is still messed up!

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2149 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: RADEON 9700 PRO (6476)

Unhashed item

History: FMemCache::Flush <- UEngine::Flush <- Cleanup <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level DesertIsle <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back