ati 9700 pro open gl settings (performance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skv|Kimber

I'm looking for advice to max out my fps in games, without making the graphics look like *** of course. I know truform should be turned off, and it is. But with the ati drivers , i have no option to turn off anti aliasing or antistropic filtering, it only lets me use "Let program pick the settings". I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to overclock my 9700 pro, or what settings i should use for better fps, and if theres anyway to turn off antistropic filtering, or anti aliasing.

You've got a 9700 Pro, and you want better performance??:confused:

You wanna try living with a GeForce 2 :D :dead:

Originally posted by RustyZip
You've got a 9700 Pro, and you want better performance??:confused:

Heh yeah, ditto.

I don't notice any difference in FPS over 100. You're probably getting in the 300's now with older games. Go ahead and overclock if you want more for some reason, but other than that your options are limited.

If I were you I'd max out all my settings (esp. resolution) and just use it as it came. No sense in overclocking a new card if it's the top performer.

100?? Are you superman Veh? Normal humans won't notice anything in the high 50's. ~65 is max detected by the human eye, and that is based on perfect vision.

Originally posted by StormBringer
100?? Are you superman Veh? Normal humans won't notice anything in the high 50's. ~65 is max detected by the human eye, and that is based on perfect vision.

For some reason when I play Q3 @ 90-100 FPS it looks alot different than running 3DMark at 200ish.

I would agree with the 65 though.

The 100 is based on screen tearing when the refresh rate is lower than the FPS. Most people aren't running at a resolution where they get over 100Hz.

Set V-Sync to Always Off might help you a bit then. Download Rage3D Tweak also, that gives a few added options, like enabling 3D Now!, SSE 1/2 support & stuff like that.

If you set FSAA/Aniso to Application preference, it'll be turned off unless you set the game up to use it...

In older games, there are (usually) no FSAA/Aniso settings, so App pref will be the same as off...

But I can't really see why you'd want to turn off FSAA/Aniso.... It makes the games look much better, and doesn't cost too much in performance...

I play everything with 4x FSAA and 16x aniso (quality), and with the exception of ut2k3, it runs like a charm :)
(and I'm cpu limited in ut2k3....)

heh, my fps dips in counter-strike on 640 resolution. I dont over clock my radeon 9700 pro. I turned of vsync. I dont understand why you all say OMGOMGOMG THE PERFORMANCE OWNS, when in some situations my fps dips for no reason to 60's in counter-strike. Yea sure the fps owns while sitting still, but sometimes it just dips. I'm almost positive fsaa and anitstropic filtering is on, i want to know how to turn it off. And if there are any other settings or registry tweaks / guides that can make it turn off, i'd appreciate it if you could show me, cuz right now my visiontek GF3 is running better :O

oh and also.............. on the drivers, in right click desktop > properties > settings > advanced, when i go to the drivers, the part where it shows the gamma bar, contrast bar, brightness bar, it wont let me move it up........ :O, i cant move it left and right, therefore i have to use powerstrip, which i dont like too much when it takes like an extra minute to boot. If you know wuts up with that lemme know ;o

Are you sure that you have the fps limit set higher, i think the default for counter strike limits it to 60fps, i have it at 100fps on my mine, and it never dips below that.
my spec 1600xp, gf4400, kt266a, 384mb ddr ram

skv|Kimber> Could you please post the info smartgart gives you? (The smartgart tab under properties > settings > advanced)

And the advanced SmartGart settings (Start > Run > SmartGart)...

If you have very low settings there it could explain it...

Oh, and what drivers are you using?

skv|Kimber, Could you please post the smartgart info I req'ed? and what drivers you are using?
It'll help with finding out what is wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back