ATI AIW 9800SE shows yellow spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running Windows XP SP2 on an ASUS motherboard (P4C800) with ATI All-In-Wonder 9800SE. Since a few days, I'm seeing yellow lines and rectangles on my screen. Strange thing: If you resize an open window, these yellow things disappear.
I remember someone telling a similar story, on other hardware, but can't remember the details.
Could this be hardware related?
I've already tried to install another driver, without success. Yellow lines etc. still appear.
Note that they do not show all the time. Very strange!

Thanks for any advice!

Koen

[edit] These yellow lines and rectangles are actually a kind of transparent layer which gives a yellowish look to some zones on the screen. Just to make things clear...

Um, this is a really bad problem. I had a 9800 PRO 256MB die on me just a few days ago to a similar problem, it would do that every once in a while, and then go away. But just recently, I bought a new case and PSU, and luck should have it, all the letters during boot are rainbowed, and it doesn't go away, my card is dead, wont even boot anymore. I would first start off with a thorough inspection of the card itself, and the die. Using a picapole works well (what printers called a set magnifier) to see if the top of the die cracked, or corner chipped, like mine started to. look for your thermal cream running, hope it isnt, because that could cause it for the short term as well.

When it was doing in every once in a while, I reseated the card, and for the most part, it would go away on the first try, then it started progressing worse, until my new case and PSU, where it is just dead. I sure hope its not dead, but dont rule it out.

I had the same problem with a Nvidia i got from a friend for free, it was pretty much dead... the more you used it the worse it got, till one day the whole screen went multi colour and dragging windows and moving the mouse across the screen created different colour pixel trails... soon after the card never worked again, hope yours isnt doing the same...

Well it looks like the previous 2 posts have the problem nailed. But you might try removing the card and cleaning the fan (take it apart if you have to). Clean the card tracks (mobo interface) with an eraser. I sounds like you've been having overheating issues and it's starting to damage the card/GPU. Check the GPU die as suggested above and make sure the fan/heatsink has not loosened from a firm contact with it.

Next is dwnload Everest (freeware) and monitor your CPU and system temps and voltages to make sure you don't have an overall heating problem or a dieing PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back