ATI Catalyst 6.5 & WMP 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATI Catalyst 6.5 & Media Player 10 compatibility problems!

I have recently updated Windows XP, to service pack 2, after doing this I also updated my ATI radeon drivers to version 6.5 with catalyst control center. I also have downloaded the NET Framework version 2.0

When I try to play a streaming video or DVD in Windows Media Player 10, it starts to play and then locks up. Requireing a re-boot.

If I uninstall the catalyst 6.5 drivers, reboot, then re-install the original CD ATI drivers, WMP will play fine.

Does anyone have any insight on this compatibility issue? I have searched microsoft and can't seem to find a thing!

Thank's for any help.

Someone must know.

I have done serious digging into this conflict, have read many post about the same situation, but have not found a solution.

Someone must know something about this, please any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

drivers are a funny thing.. especialy those video ones.. it just depends on your other system components and their drivers.. like the mobo for example...

every machine is different.. so a driver (old or new) may work best with one system, while the latter is not best..

by the way.. you may want to edit out your email address.. it will get spammed by a spambot...

Does the version of the ATI Catalyst center that u installed supports your hardware component?

Also, why update drivers when they're not causing any problems to begin with?

Hi hogans,
Do you have a true-blue, built-by-ATI videocard?

If so, then you likely only simply need a newer version of the dvd-decoder driver. This isn't free (i.e. needs a license) hence why it's not included in the normal Catalyst display driver download.. plus it's just simply a dvd-decoder which has nothing to do with display drivers really anyways!

At any rate, the newest DVD decoder can be downloaded from this link:
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1157

You will need your ATI cd for it's dvd-decoder license as well as internet access as this is just the installer. After it verifies your dvd-decoder license (it'll ask for your original cd for license check), it'll then proceed to download the actual decoder driver- newer version for the newer Catalyst drivers. It's a smallish-download so no big deal there.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back