ATI catalyst driver and control panel installation problems!!!

By fifa
Dec 24, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just recently reformatted my drive and did a clean install of winxp pro. I then downloaded xp sp2 and a whole bunch of other updates and .net framework 2.0 etc... I have an ATI 9800pro 256MB card on board. I downloaded the latest catalyst 6.12 drivers and have tried installing it. During the installation it goes through the installation of the primary and secondary 9800pro device and then I get the balloon pop up from the windows taskbar stating "a problem occurred during hardware installation...." It then continues to install the wdm but gets stuck at this point. I can close the wdm setup window and it will continue with the catalyst control panel setup without any problems. After the restart my computer will hang on the desktop screen ( but this I assume is normal since ATI states in their readme file that there is a chance that system may hang during restart after catalyst installation) I simple reset my system and after loading windows when I run the catalyst control panel and choose 3d tab it gives me a "windows preview application error". At this point all seems to work well in term of 3d acceleration and I can even play warhammer dark crusade. But if I restart my computer another time then when windows loads up it takes a long time for the desktop screen to refresh and start menu items to pop as though I am running a cheap VGA card (simply put it goes back to the way it was before installing ati catalyst with really low resolution desktop). Now if I try to play warhammer dark crusade or any other game for that matter I get an error stating no 3d accelerator device found. If I open Catalyst control panel and choose 3d tab it will now state "no opengl device found....". Please help me to resolve this issue. I have tried multiple catalyst versions each time making sure there were no registry keys or folders left behind from previous catalyst installations.

I have tried catalyst 6.12, 6.1, 6.3, 5.9 all which gives me the same problems.

Version 5.3,4.8 which I have also tried will cause a scrambled screen to appear after the restart from the installation every time.

I had the 9800 pro card working quite fine with I believe one of the version 5 catalyst drivers before doing the clean windows xp pro installation. If its any use I was using WinXP home edition at the time. Any help in fixing this issue will be greatly appreciated. I have given a detailed description hoping someone will be able to help. Thanks and happy holidays!
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Make sure all the drivers for your mobo are up to date, that may help.
  3. fifa

fifa Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have done a reinstall of windows once again this time only applying SP1 rather than SP2 and the latest catalyst drivers seem to be working. However as soon as I installed SP2 the above problems came back with the slow desktop refresh and low resolution. I also cannot get any 3d acceleration capabilities. Please help with this regard thank you.
  4. TekGun

TekGun TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 156   +11

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.