ATI driver errors, or maybe something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stampede10343

I've been having troubles with what i thought was my graphics card drivers. But recently i kind of looked at the dump files with notepad and i saw a mixer.sys and a whole bunch of ones that say floppy***.sys So i'm not sure what the problem is.. i've attached all my minidumps. I'm hoping to fix this cause its getting old..

YES:
I have reformatted and reinstalled windows
I have reinstalled the ATI drivers numerous times, at 9.6 btw
i ran the uninstaller and safe mode too.

So now im not sure what to do here are my specs:

Its a custom computer:
Antec 300 case
ECS MOBO
AMD Athlon X2 6000+ at 3.2 GHz
Radeon HD 4850 512 MB card
1 LG DVD+-RW drive
1 WD 320 GB SATA HD
CoolerMaster 460 watt PSU

I'm going to run memtest86 tonight, i've ran it before i reinstalled windows and everything passed but i'll try again.. Thanks for any help with my issues.

Three errors are 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

One dump simply cited a Windows driver and these are usually too general to be of much help. However, two ATI drivers arikvmag.dll and atirdvag.dll were specifically cited as the cause of your issues.

One error is 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

The ATI driver atikvmag.dll (Virtual Command And Memory Manager) was again cited as your issue.

The last error was 0xA and though another Wiundows driver was cited these errors are caused by hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level they shouldn't be trying to access.

Three weeks ago I was helping someone with video cared issues and after they did the following steps everything cleared up for him; I am not saying this is your answer but give it a try. He thought he had uninstalled all his old drivers before installing the new but such wasn't the case. So...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* I would also do a search on those 9.6 drivers to see if there are any known issues.

well it crashed again, heres another minidump, it only happens when im playing a game.. somebody please point me in the right direction..

Half Life Episode 2 or Team Fortress, both do it, it usually either just completely restarts, or it repeats the music a few times (skips) then restarts.. Thanks for the help so far.

Half Life Episode 2 or Team Fortress, both do it, it usually either just completely restarts, or it repeats the music a few times (skips) then restarts.. Thanks for the help so far.

I take it you playonline, correct? If so the most recent dump cited a USB Windows driver. Try updating your NIC/wireless card drivers. Tell us if that helps.

I take it you playonline, correct? If so the most recent dump cited a USB Windows driver. Try updating your NIC/wireless card drivers. Tell us if that helps.

well i played for about 15 - 20 minutes without problems, but im still thinking it may be something else, but i hope this is it, i'll keep playing and see what happens, btw the driver was over 1 year old so it might have helped.

did another 15 - 20 minutes and its still fine, it doesn't make any sense, for Ep. 2 though, cause thats not online, although steam is always online when you play those games.

PCs, who can figure them? Seems that one driver was the culprit. We will be interested to see if you are problem free if you play an hour or two. Let us know.

well i played for at least an hour or two today and it was fine, except once it didn't BSOD but catalyst said the driver crashed and stopped the game. So i guess its better, but still not solved..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back