Ati hdtv wonder problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

victis88

i installed the card and the newest drivers from the ati website and now whenever i startup my computer after i log in windows loads the desktop but then it freezes
specs:
Geforce 6800xt
Amd 3800+ x2
msi k8n neo 4 platinum
2 gig generic memory

any help would be appreciated

Might be a compatibility issue.

I also have an HDTV Wonder, but Ihave an ATI video card to go with it to maximize compatibility.

My Radeon 9800 died a few months back and I was forced to use an old G-Force MX440. It worked well, but not as seamlessly as it did with the Radeon.

ATI's latest drivers suck. I'm still using the drivers off the original CD, which aren't perfect, but doesn't crash and support my widescreen monitor better.

If the screen is freezing even before you launch the HDTV, you've probably caused a driver conflict with your video card. If you can, uninstal the ATI software and reinstall your GeForce drivers. We'll go from there once that's working again.

cant do anything with the computer once i log on, it freezes right away

i was thinking starting in safe mode and then uninstalling the card
any suggestions and if its a good idea how would i get in safe mode

Gotta open 'er up.

victis88 said:
cant do anything with the computer once i log on, it freezes right away
If you can't boot into Safe Mode, you're gonna have to open her up then and remove the HDTV card. If the driver is the issue, removing the card will prevent the driver from loading and conflicting with the video card's driver.

Then try rebooting as normal, and use ATI's custom "uninstall" software to remove all ATI drivers from your PC, uninstalling the HDTV software. This in one time where not having an ATI video card is a big help, because ATI's removal program uninstalls the Radeon video card driver too (what a pain!)

After that, reinstall the driver for your video card and reboot.

Unfortunately, you can't uninstall drivers from Safe Mode (and I *think* you can't hide it in the Device Manager either), so you must manually remove the hardware to disable it (If you can get into Safe Mode, *try* disabling the HDTV card from the Device Manager first and save yourself some agony).

Once your video card drivers are reinstalled and the PC is back to normal, Shutdown, reinsert the HDTV Wonder, reboot, and use the software on the provided CD. It's a bit old, but more compatible and more complete.

The upgraded drivers/software on ATI's website appear to depend on features and functions that only install with the CD (the DVD driver for instance). If you never installed using the CD, you're probably missing some crucial drivers.

Once you are up and running with the original software for a few weeks and have worked the kinks out, you may consider trying the latest version of ATI's HDTV program, but I've done it twice myself and have always gone racing back to the CD. :(

hey thanks for the help i really appreciate it
i had no idea wat i was doin
but also i have another question
when i installed the drivers from the cd media center didnt recognise the tuner how would i fix it since the online drivers werent any help

Card not recognized.

Ah, the card is not being recognized. This is an annoying little bug in the HDTV Wonder (HDW) that I've run into once before. All the drivers were not uninstalled, so Windows never Detected New Hardware and fresh drivers were not installed.

When you installed the software and then removed it, Windows didn't delete the corrupted system drivers that went with it, and when you reinstall the drivers, it doesn't overwrite the corrupted driver, so the fresh install doesn't work.

You need to go into the Device Manager, "Uninstall" the HDW, uninstall the software again, go into your Program Files folder and if anything ATI related is still there, delete it. DON'T reboot. Insert the HDW CD and reinstall the software. It should detect the card and load fresh drivers. If it doesn't detect the card, reboot and let Windows do its "New Hardware Detected" routine.

ok so i reinstalled windows because i couldnt delete the drivers
i used the windows installation thingy the first time
i was wondering when it says to install the drivers should i just x out and use the cd or wat because i dont wanna screw it up this time
thanks ahead

Oh man, I hope reinstalling Win didn't screw up the rest of your setup too much. I know what a pain it is trying to get everything back the way you had it.

My "personal" experience has been that installing ANY software when the Windows New Hardware Wizard prompts you NEVER works right, so *I'd* personally Cancel, remove the detected hardware via the Device Manager, then insert the CD and let it take care of everything for you.

But that's just MY personal experience. ATI's Radeon driver installation software for their vidcards is THE worst, but the HDW isn't a vidcard per se', it's an add-on card, so you might get lucky and be able to install straight from the Wizard. Try it, and if it doesn't work, you know what to do. :)

hey well thanks for all ur help but idk if im not doing somthing right or something so i gave up on the whole thing. im probably gonna jus sell it to somebody cuz idk wat the problem is

What happened? Everything should work fine on a clean install as long as the hardware is okay.

when i install from the cd the ati multimedia center doesnt install all it installs is the guide plus thing and remote wonder
and i cant use the windows media center program because it doesnt recognise the card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back