ATI & NVIDIA combo

Perun

First of all, I'd like to say hi to all of you on this forum, since this is my first post here, and this is the first forum that I've joined ever since I remember.

Now, on to the actual problem:
I was digging around some of my old stuff, and dug out an old Mo-bo with a 3.0GHZ Dual Core Intel, and some interesting ports on it. It had both DDR1 and DDR2 RAM slots, and both PCIE x16, and AGP slots ( to my amazement ).
After some time of it sitting and collecting dust on my desk, I decided I could use it as a secondary PC that I could place in my bedroom, for movie watching purposes and such. I put in it my old NVIDIA 9550 GT, and also an ATI card I found ( ATI Radeon 9550 ). Now, the purpose of me having that card was that it had s-video out on it, and I could plug my old-ish TV in it to use as a monitor. Albeit the picture isn't perfect ( probably because it's analog ) but it does the trick.

I was wondering, that old NVIDIA ran perfectly fine in my current computer next to the AMD HD 7770, but in this setup it doesn't quite do so. Namely, the monitor which I've hooked up to the NVIDIA ( while the TV is hooked up on that old ATI card ) works fine along the TV, but the games don't. The games I run while the monitor on the NVIDIA is set as primary work fine, and I can put them in windowed mode and just drag them on the TV, still works fine, but if I set the TV as primary, the ATI seems to take all the load and just doesn't run ( or runs them with major lag ). Is there any way I can designate the NVIDIA to basically do all the work, and the ATI to just output it ? I've tried all orders of driver installation ( NVIDIA first, then ATI, and the opposite ), but to no avail. Is there anything I am doing wrong ? Can I bypass the NVIDIA vs AMD problem ?

Thanks in advance ( and sorry for the excessive writing ).

Welcome.

Unfortunately, what you want to do is not possible. I would simply suggest spending $28 and getting a card that has DVI, HDMI, and VGA out - surely one of those can go to your TV. This is a much more elegant solution and the card should be more powerful than either of your existing cards. Will save you on energy consumption too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202142

I would have done that a long time ago, if the TV had the digital inputs, it only has the SCART, which I use now. I know that for around $20 I can find an external digital to analog converter box, but I was hoping to make-do with what I had. Anyway, I appreciate the reply, but I think I'll just keep my monitor next to the TV, and just open an occasional game in windowed mode.

Back