ATI or GeForce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludwig

I just like to know what is better AIT or GeForce?

I was thinking of geting a new video card.. It sounds like so far that Geforce don't have as much problems as ATI.. Well out of the people that I know.

On here it seems (quickly looked at) the same..

My kinds of games are Wow, Guild Wars, NWN, Swat 4 and so on..

For Video that's all I do is gaming.. DVD's I got my T.V so no worries there..

Would like something with at least this specs..

8x, AGP, radeon 9800 or go with pro, GeForce hmmm what ever is the best that they have out right now.. What would that be?

Last I checked the best performance card is out by nVidia, the 7800gtx, but if your on a budget, you'd probably get more performance per dollar with an ATI. I personally prefer the nVidia product as it's driver support is superior, IMO.

I think he needs an AGP card. In that case an Nvidia 6800 ultra would be good or a Radeon x850xt platinum. Between those two, I'd say the Radeon. Aside from cost, the main downside is these cards might require you to get a better power supply and they take up two expansion slots.

I think that the ait x800 pro is a good choice since it has 256 mb of memory but most of the newer modles are pci express.

256mb but why?

What game out there uses 256mb's of ram? So far the highest game that i seen was only 64mb's is recommended.. so why would you need anymore then 128mb's? Wich is twice the amount..

GeForce 6800

I'll just see how my computer runs with changing my power supply from a 350w to a 480w and see if that's why I getthe laging.. Even if I play a DVD..

Well on the DVD it runs like half of the movie then it starts to lag a bit.. But again now I got the T.V I don't need to use my computer anymore..

I'll post back if that is what it is.. I realy dunno how computers power supply can slow things down or just it don't startup.. If there isn't enough power would a computer start? or does it just grab what it needs till it needs it?

Then why buy it now?

If the new hardware is more in the future of the software then why not just wait till both are equel? Wouldn't it be cheaper to wait and see if the software needs the hardware, then to have more hardware power then what might take like 5 years to get the software up there? Hardware loses it's strenght with time but not software.. once you have the software that's it..

Specs of video card

Radeon 9600 PRO

total memory: 127MB (127MB video) (120Mb AGP)
texture: 247MB

video driver version: 6.14.10.6343

Ludwig said:
8x, AGP, radeon 9800 or go with pro, GeForce hmmm what ever is the best that they have out right now.. What would that be?
For the high end you should go with an x850xt pe, lower a 6800 GT or x800 XL will do nice (x800 pro are good cards but crap compared to the ones i mentioned) and if you want an even lower price point then 6600GT is the way to go.

Ludwig said:
What game out there uses 256mb's of ram? So far the highest game that i seen was only 64mb's is recommended.. so why would you need anymore then 128mb's? Wich is twice the amount..

64mbs is the minimum setting with most, which means that is the absolute minimum card you need to run the game but the resolution you will use is the lowest with none of the special effects turned on. For most current / next generation games they require atleast 128 mb and 256 is highly recommended. Try playing the F.E.A.R demo on a 64mb card.

Ludwig said:
If the new hardware is more in the future of the software then why not just wait till both are equel? Wouldn't it be cheaper to wait and see if the software needs the hardware, then to have more hardware power then what might take like 5 years to get the software up there? Hardware loses it's strenght with time but not software.. once you have the software that's it..

I dont quite get what you mean software and hardware can not be equal since they both need to grow to the needs and evolution of technology. To ask for the software and hardware to be equal would mean that there is no need for progress.

Isn't recommended like what it takes to play the game at what ever it needs for best?

For example: World of warcraft, Guild War and NeverWinter Nights (horde) is minimum for 32Mb and recommended is 64MB.. Even Doom 3 is 64MB for recommended hardware...

So recommended isn't the max graphices the game can do?

if that is true then 128MB is plenty for a while.. They could work more on the drivers then.. lol damn bugs..

Honestly? For the games you've mentioned, your 9600 Pro should be more than adequate, unless you plan to play very high resolution and/or with lots of antialiasing or anisotropic filtering (AA and AF).

Antialiasing smooths the edges of polygons. Anisotropic filtering sharpens textures to look more detailed and crisp.

As you currently have a 9600 Pro, chances are the latest 7800GTX from NVidia is out of your reach as this is a PCI-Express videocard at this time. With any luck, NVidia might offer an AGP version of this beast, but I'm not sure if we'll see it this year (possibly next year.. possibly not at all). The 9600 Pro is AGP, so this would dictate you are limited to AGP videocards, unless you plan on replacing your motherboard and/or CPU... which is basically a full system upgrade.

With AGP in mind, the high end would be:
NVidia 6800GT or ATI X850 XT PE. These cards will provide very high resolutions with AA and AF. These are both 16-pipeline videocards.

The lower/middle bracket would be the NVidia 6600GT or ATI X800 GT. These are both 8-pipeline videocards.

ATI has some cards between these that are very affordable- the X800 Pro (12-pipeline) and the X800 XL (16-pipeline, but much lower clock speed than the X850/X800 XT's).

The truth is- if you play around 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution, and not very interested in antialiasing, you should be able to get good performance with your current 9600 Pro, and even use light anisotropic filtering (maybe 2x or 4x, depending on the game).

If performance in the games you've listed is poor on the 9600 Pro, this might suggest the rest of your system is in need of upgrading. Modern games and DirectX 9.0 are very taxing on CPU and system memory speeds. Depending upon the game settings, you might enjoy a bigger boost in performance with system tuning or cheap system upgrades versus replacing the 3d card.

It works now

ok What I did last night was changed my power supply.. Today I went into Guild Wars, NeverWinter Nights (my old server but wich it's offline now) I put the graphics and everything up the highest it can and turned my camera around lots and lots of times.. I would run through the levels and guess what.. no more of that stupid lag.. I guess all it was is not enough power for everything..

Well now that this works just fin I don't need to worry about a new video card.. :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back