ATI or Nvidia, personal choice, or smart choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattkorz

I'm looking to build a new computer, and i set a $200 budget for the card. I dont really need an amazing card, just something that can perform/oc well. I'd like to max out some of my fave games, Like CS, WoW, Fear, ect. I've found a couple really good cards, but when it comes down to it, I cant decide between the ATI chipset, or and Nvidia. I've tried both chipsets in previous builds, and both have been up to par. Here's my current specs for the build.

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 ClawHammer 2.6GHz Socket 939

Any recommendations?
Thnx :)

If you really want an FX-55, why not get the San Diego version instead?
As far as Nvidia or ATi it really depends on the games. Some do better with ATi and some with Nvidia.

I think NVIDIA gives you a better picture, but I also use ATI PCI Express still not bad though. It boils down on what you want to spend?

I would go for NVIDIA for the more competitive prices and for ease of use, their control panel is a breeze to use. ATi on the other hand wins in terms of raw performance but availability and price is a problem compared to NVIDIA, in addition to their horrible Catalyst Control Center. I hope they improve it soon coz the 7950GX2 is looking pretty tempting to me.:D

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I would go for NVIDIA for the more competitive prices
7900GS = 1900GT in prices - and yet i've heard the 1900GT will destroy the 7900GS....
and for ease of use, their control panel is a breeze to use. ATi on the other hand wins in terms of raw performance but availability and price is a problem compared to NVIDIA, in addition to their horrible Catalyst Control Center.
I never use the control center, it's garbage. Just get the drivers themselves and install. In case of overclocking/fan control[if needed] use ATITool.
I hope they improve it soon coz the 7950GX2 is looking pretty tempting to me.:D
I've heard the 7950GX2 is incompatible with some mobos? Also, I've heard two 7950GX2s in SLI will be beaten by two 1950XTXs in Crossfire.

ATi or nVIDIA

It all comes down to personal preference. I prefer nVidia but I also like a bunch of the cards ATi has put out. I am running a GeForce 6800GT OC in my system and I am able to run all my games at high video settings without a problem.

And I love ATI, I love my Radeon card, and I'm happy with the Control Center. I don't know why you guys don't like it.

No X1900GT beats 7900GT and 7900GS. You just like nVidia. X1900GT Is smart choice, 7900GS is your personal choice. The connect3d X1900GT is on sale for 175$ 250$ origional.

Updating my orignal post.

Ok, so here's the "update" of my system. I took some of the advice as far as the mobo and cpu goes, and as far as looks goes, I found a decent Nvidia card. I know that if I post it, all you Ati fanatics will rip it apart, but Ill put it up anyways. Tell me what y'all think? :)

Oh, and all these things can be found on Newegg.com. They're are my most trusted site as far as computer parts go.

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 San Diego 2.6GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADAFX55BNBOX

G.SKILL 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory Model F1-3200PHU1-1GBNS

Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply

XFX PVT71PUDE3 Geforce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 XT Edition Video Card http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150183 - Newegg link

Awesome build mattkorz, well done! The CPU and video card are pretty good and will play almost all games out there on full detail. Why didn't you get the 7900GT though, it's way better than the GS? I guess it's coz of the price. But still, great system.:grinthumb

wolfram said:
And I love ATI, I love my Radeon card, and I'm happy with the Control Center. I don't know why you guys don't like it.
I find it extremely bloated for no real reason. ATI Tool is a little odd to use due to the sections they put stuff in, but it can do everything CCC can without the extended startup time and [possible] memory hogging(I'm assuming since it takes forever to start, it may not hog memory though).

Well, I disable ATI services, and I have a fast startup time. Disabling them, CCC doesn't use any single MB of RAM :)

And it works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back