ATI Radeion 9700 -- The End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy213

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/billy213/screen.jpg

half of the screen has just gone to pot...if i run system requirements lab it says:

Video RAM: Required - 128 MB , You have - 128.0 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - No
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - No
Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 0.0
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 0.0

this is surely not right lol, can anyone help?

Make sure you have your motherboard chipset drivers installed as AGP acceleration wont be enabled without this. I'd recommend the following steps:
1) Remove the card physically and clean-off with a can of compressed air. The heatsink on these 9700/9800 series Radeons is basically a dust trap and packs up badly. Upon re-installation, I'd also try booting up with the case open just to visually inspect the fan is even spinning as your screenshot would suggest video artifacts usually caused by overheating GPU/video memory. Bad videomemory (i.e. bum card) can also cause it if it's been overheating over the long term, but let's be optimistic and hope it's not permanent damage.

2) Remove all traces of ATI drivers. I'd also recommend the free version of Driver Cleaner Pro in Safe Mode/Administrator which you can find if you websearch.

3) After this, re-install the motherboard chipset drivers for your motherboard.

4) Install the latest Catalyst drivers. I run the 7.2's on a 9700 Pro with no issues, albeit some people seem to prefer the 6.11's or 7.1's.

5) Re-install DirectX 9.0c from www.microsoft.com/directx

Cross fingers. :)

You're having artifacting, which is indicative of either overheating or a bad card. Go through the steps Sharkfood suggested. Oh and BTW, compressed air cans are usually available at most computer shops and\or photo studios.

i have sorted the problem with the display. there seems to be a problem with the back of the VGA port and if it gets moved 2 much the picture goes as it did.

next problem...it doesn't actually allow to play games, they just wont load. this being a borrowed card from my uncle i think he had the same problems. so i will try the compressed air and other mentioned methods and let u guys know how i get on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back