ati radeon 7000 pci card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazywhiteboy

ok well here the problem i bought call of duty for my comp and i cant play it due to my integrated video card so i bought a ati radeon card from newgg.com so im waiting for it it should be here monday or something but i realized i dont no how to hook it up i dont no if it will work in my comp or not i have windows me aand i heard u must disable the driver for the itegrated thing so if i do that wont i like lose a picture in the monitrer pleaz help me hook it up i need to no how cuz the company wont help cuz i guess its too old to suppoprt if u need any more info on my comp just ask but plz help me lol ty
oya here is some comp info
hp pavillionxt930 pentium 3 windows me
256 ram
my intel card is
intel 82810 graphics controller
anything else plz ask ty again

Sometimes your computer will automatically disable the integrated card. To install it. simply insert the card in your slot, and screw in the slot. It's really simple. To install drivers, just put in the cd that comes with the card and install drivers. The old drivers should be kept for backup purposes.

EDIT: When you install the new card, also plug in the monitor to the new card. You should be able to see Windows to install drivers.

would u say this card is good enough cuz and i will do all that but if it doesnt automaticly do anything can u help me with that to lol

Will this be for Call of Duty or Call of Duty 2?

I believe #2 needs hardware T&L, which the 7000 series do not have. Do you have a link to the precise Radeon you ordered? And also, which Call of Duty game do you have?

Hmm.. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but nope- doesn't look like you'll be able to play your game with that card.

The Call of Duty + United Offensive pack requires DX9.0c, but backwards compatible with 3d cards of DX8.0 or higher with Hardware T&L, which the 7000 does not have.

I'm unsure if there are any hacks for Call of Duty to work on a non-T&L capable card, but I doubt it. You wouldn't want this anyways as it would kill performance and likely be totally unplayable that way.

If you're looking for an ATI/Radeon card that will play this game, you'll need one that lists Charisma Engine or Charisma Engine II (ATI's term for Hardware T&L).. this would be a Radeon 9000 series or higher.

EDIT- Here's an example of a PCI Radeon that will play Call of Duty for $49
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102527

T&L stands for transform and lighting... transform think of "moving objects in 3d space" such as geometry.. and lighting is self-explanatory (shading, highlights from light sources, etc.etc.).

Newer 3D games are designed to use a 3d chip on your videocard to perform these operations rather than on your CPU. Even the lowest-end 3d cards with T&L support can do this substantially better than general usage CPU's (like your Pentium 3).

But, if your 3d card does not have this, it wont be able to play the game as it relies on this to move 3d objects and light-up the gameworld on your 3d card. It'll just fail on launching as it'll try to make calls to hardware on your videocard that isn't there.

And you can install ANY version of DirectX on just about any videocard. It just means what features that particular videocard supports will be reported to games as "OK".... but any features it does not will be reported as fail/not there. This is called a query for CAPABILITIES LIST, or "CAPS LIST" for short. Games perform a CAPS LIST right on launch and then, much like a grocery shopping list, check down the list to make sure your card has what it needs. If your card doesn't have zuchinni on it's shopping list (T&L), it'll just exit saying you dont have what it needs.

ok so i should buy that card u showed me and its easy to install and it iwll work for sure im glad it still cheap i just wana play my game hhaha but ya i guess i shouldent even try what i got i hope they gimme my money back thisa is the 3rd card i found that wouldent work lol i really dont no asnything bout video card but this is agrivating lol but ty

If you're power supply is under 200W, you'll be extremely tight be it with a 9250 or that FX5500 you have listed. Both would be quite a gamble.

I'd recommend the cheaper 9250 though as it has a 128-bit memory bus vs 64-bit, which equates to better performance. Both cards have a similar power draw so it wont be any better either way on that front.

As it's an HP Pavillion, it's quite possible either card will work depending upon how old/worn the power supply is. You may want to budget a new PSU in the near future though as it really will be pushing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back