ATI Radeon 9250 AGP motherboard won't recognize it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought the card a couple days ago and tried to install it on my motherboard and it isn't recognized at all. The computer boots to Windows XP and there is no Found New Hardware wizard. I have an onboard video unit that I tried to disable, but when I disabled it, it won't boot at all, seemingly because it doesn't think there's a video card in there at all. My specifications are as follows:

MB: Soyo P4VGM 1.0 - 2.8GHz P4 Processor
VC: ATI Radeon 9250 Xtasy 128MB AGP
Windows XP SP2

The BIOS has a couple of settings I'm sure about. One of them says "Primary Graphics Adapter" and the choices are "PCI" or "AGP." If I switch it to AGP, it won't boot. Also, the "Shared Memory" setting is set to 32MB at the moment (because the onboard video is 32MB), but if I set that to zero it won't boot either. I can only assume the "PCI" setting enables onboard video? I don't see any other way to enable/disable it. If you had a PCI Video card, I don't know how it would be able to know which to use.

Anyone have any information on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jim

One more thing

I took the card back because I thought it was defective, and got another one from Best Buy. When I took the card out, it looked different. It was red, and the previous one was green; also, the second card had a bigger heatsink than the previous one. I didn't know if maybe I could have two different cards? Maybe someone returned one in a different box? At any rate, it still doesn't work. Same issues. Any help would be appreciated.

I've got the same problem, but with an ATI radeon 9550, I install the card (in place of my geforce mx440) and turn my machine on, but I don't get any post beeps, no signal to my monitor, I tried updating my chipset drivers and still no go. I too returned my card and got another one, but same problem!!
PLEASE HELP!!!
Thomcat

I eventually came to the conclusion that my AGP slot is bad. I went and bought the same card ATI Radeon 9250 but a PCI version (which is actually 256MB instead of the previous 128MB) and it works like a charm. I figure the double RAM might offset the speed difference between AGP and PCI anyway.

I had a similar problem recently. I tried 4 different cards when my graphics were scrambled. Turned out the CPU went bad.

In all likelyhood there is nothing wrong with your computer at all. Your probably just not disabling the onboard video and enabling the AGP slot properly. Check your motherboard manual for instructions or search the web for details. I'll point you in the right direction, but I won't do all the work for you... it's 1:21 am my time... why can't I sleep right now??

-A-

Well, I'm pretty sure my AGP slot is fine because the geforce 440 works fine in it (I'm using it right now!). Also my motherboard does'nt have onboard video. So I'm still stumped!!

I've tried every combination. If you can find any detailed information on how to disable onboard video on a SOYO P4 VGM 1.0 bios, that would be a great help. But i'm finding nothing. And the manual doesn't even include instructions; they're assuming you're going to be using their 32MB onboard piece of ****e. I ended up buying a 256MB PCI card, and I realized how slow PCI is even with that much memory. I'm seriously thinking of RMA-ing the motherboard or buying a new one. It's still under the year warranty..

according to this review your MB HAS onboard graphics:

Soyo P4VGM v1.0 (MB-SY-P4VGMV1.0) Motherboard

This versatile Soyo all-in-one P4VGM 2.0 Socket 478 motherboard is an ideal fit for anyone building a powerful, blazing fast, all-around PC system. The P4VGM's cost-effective, remarkably efficient Micro ATX design delivers high-performance computing with reduced output energy. Built to accommodate Intel Pentium 4 processors and Prescott-ready, this motherboard features a wealth of world-class components innovations including video embedded in the chipset, SSB 400/533MHz, DDR 200/266, GFX Graphics ProSavage8 Integrated Graphics, onboard AC 97 audio, 10/100 Mbps LAN, USB 2.0, and exceptional expandability. (from epinions.com)

GFX Graphics ProSavage8 Integrated Graphics - are onboard graphics - disable it and enable your AGP slot in BIOS

should be a setting in BIOS for onboard equipment. might be on a 3rd or 4th page. There HAS to be a setting to turn on and off onbaord video. If not, it's a pretty bad MB.

The only settings related to it are:

AGP Share Memory: None, 8MB, 16MB, 32MB
Allocate IRQ to PCI Video: Yes, No

And if the first option is set to None, it still won't find an AGP card. It will, however, find a PCI card, so I'm pretty sure my AGP slot is shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back