ATI RADEON 9550 256MB Major headache :(

By chrisho
Jul 25, 2006
  1. Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me with this,
    bought one of these cards yesterday and have had no end of problems. i have deleted drivers for original (integrated) graphics card, installed the drivers from the cdrom, but the display is all glitchy and the icons on the desktop arenot displayed properly. when i try to adjust the resolution there are only 2 settings, low (680) and high (1024) and neither works properly. the computer freezes frequently on startup..... i cannot think what is causing the problem. i only have a 14" monitor, could this be the problem? im running 1300 amd with 256 mb sdram on an old pc chips motherboard (3-4 years old)
    psu is 300 watts i think? even installed current drivers from ati website but still to no avail. anyone got any ideas? could the card be faulty?
  2. blue_dragon

blue_dragon TS Rookie Posts: 190

your psu

im no expert when it comes to high end ati cards..but i think your power supply isnt helping / providing enoguh power
  3. Eddie_42

Eddie_42 TS Rookie Posts: 173

My guess would be the power is not sufficent. this site has a nifty little calculator:

depending of the manufacturer of your PSU you may also only be getting 250w or so average. the 300w is just a max level. if you get something like a thermaltake or a antec you will get great levels of power. and for a 430w its only about $35. The thermaltake even comes with sleveing already on the cables.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.