ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I really need some help with a delima I'm having...

I have a Sapphire ALL-IN-WONDER ATI Radoen 9600 Pro 128MB video card with the 3.4 drivers, I know they're old drivers, but they're the only ones that work decently for me, and here's why:

With the 3.4 drivers, I can play ANY game that I have perfectly fine, for the exception of Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour. I've looked and looked at EA Game's site for help, but their tech support couldn't really do any good.

I installed the 4.2 drivers, and THAT runs ANY game that I have, including C&C Generals: Zero hour, but with the exception of Soldier Of Fortune 2... Seeing as how Soldier Of Fortune is something that I play all the time, I chose to keep the 3.4 drivers.

I should NOT have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling different drivers, just so I can play 2 different games, but I am. I'm to the boiling point and NONE of those hippie companies will help.

I've tried emailing them, but it's an automated response to their USELESS and retarded FAQ's, I've also tried calling them, but everytime I do it's some guy that can't understand a word I'm saying.

What I need to know is, is there a "Go-between" setup that i can use so I don't have to waste my time with uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers just to play 2 games?

Is there a hidden update for either game or for the video card?

Thanks for your time,

-Covert

Edited because of language
--Mictlantecuhtli

What's the problem? Maybe there are settings you can change to fix the error.

Have you tried messing with the "Compatability" tab under the ATI control panel? Some of these options address some issues with some games.

Although it is best to solve your dilemma with permanent set of drivers a tempory solution could be another 'Hardware profile' setup under Hardware tab of system properties (Win2K)
A gamer friend of mine uses this because he has found too many conflicts between his different games.

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Have you tried contacting the Catalyst team about this problem? You can reach them here...

Also, if you post your settings in both games (as Rick asked), we might be able to figure out if theres something wrong on your end....

Yes I've also tried to contact Catalyst about the problem but I once again just get passed around their FAQ's and I'm not even going to waste my time calling them.

I'm running Windows XP Professional, so how would I go about making a new Hardware Profile? I've found the tab and everything, but I don't know what to put in there.

Yes, I've also tried messing around with the compatability settings, and it still fails.

-Covert

Originally posted by Covert

I have a Sapphire ALL-IN-WONDER ATI Radoen 9600 Pro 128MB video card with the 3.4 drivers, I know they're old drivers, but they're the only ones that work decently for me, and here's why:

With the 3.4 drivers, I can play ANY game that I have perfectly fine, for the exception of Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour. I've looked and looked at EA Game's site for help, but their tech support couldn't really do any good.

I installed the 4.2 drivers, and THAT runs ANY game that I have, including C&C Generals: Zero hour, but with the exception of Soldier Of Fortune 2... Seeing as how Soldier Of Fortune is something that I play all the time, I chose to keep the 3.4 driv

What I need to know is, is there a "Go-between" setup that i can use so I don't have to waste my time with uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers just to play 2 games?

Thanks for your time,

-Covert

I am Win 2k man .So You should read help or some of the other guys will know. The idea is to load one set of drivers in one profile and than the other set in another profile. Thereby making a quick choice as to which game you wish to play.
Good luck

Hey thanks Liquidlen, that sounds like just what I need to do... I looked over the Hardware Profile settings, but I don't know what to do...

If anyone out there knows how to create a New Hardware Profile for my videocard with the 4.2 drivers that would be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks for all of your help guys, hope to hear back from you soon.

-Covert

Well... It didn't work. I don't know how to keep 3.4 drivers on one hardware profile, and 4.2 drivers on the other... If anyone else knows how to do that, please reply :-(

There has to be a way... But I'm just not seeing it, I made a 3.4 profile, and went back to the "Profile 1" settings, then installed the 4.2 drivers and saved that as a seperate profile, so it "should" have been 3.4 and 4.2 seperate... But something obviously went wrong and I don't know what to do now...

-Covert

Having to load and unload hardware profiles takes time, and gets annoying having to restart, and if on gets corrupt (which can happen) then you could really have a hard time fixing your computer. I think you should resort to third party drivers before resorting to hardware profiles. I have the radeon 9600 pro card, and in my opinion the ATI drivers are ****. I use Omega drivers. They are made second hand, and are much MUCH better sence they support overclocking. I installed the latest of those drivers, overclocked by maybe 25MHz cpu speed and about 10 MHz on the memory and I have never regretted it. It's so simple to do too, just slid a bar up to the value you want. But search in google.com for omega radeon drivers, and you'll find the ones your looking for. But before you install them, COMPLETELY REMOVE ALL ATI DRIVERS. You'll be happy with the results even if you don't overclock. These drivers are proven to get atleast 100 to 200 more benchmark points on a benchmarker such as 3dmark04.

Covert said:

I installed the 4.2 drivers, and THAT runs ANY game that I have, including C&C Generals: Zero hour, but with the exception of Soldier Of Fortune 2... Seeing as how Soldier Of Fortune is something that I play all the time, I chose to keep the 3.4 drivers.

Hello there. A lot of people seem to have problems with those cardsw. There are many hints and tips at the following posting:

http://geek.pandemonium.de/2003/10/08/problems-with-ati-radeon-9600-pro-solved/

Yeah, that's my site, but the advice there really is too much to summarize here. :)

Hope this helps you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back