ATI Radeon 9800XT better than X800GTO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negative.

X800GTO = 12 pipelines, 256-bit memory interface
9700/9800 Pro/XT = 8 pipelines, 256-bit memory interface

(By the way the difference between the 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro and 9800 XT is the clock speed in that order. The GPU is the same between the three).

The X800GTO has faster clock speeds, more memory bandwidth, higher fillrate and better shader performance across the boards.

No way, 9800XT is way better, the number is higher and it sounds cooler. 9800>800 XT>GTO. I hope you guys know im JK lol.

Actually X800 is higher than 9800 hehe.

ATI wanted to call the new line the "10" series, but instead opted for the Roman Numeral X = 10.

So instead of the 9800 vs 10800, they opted to call the "X" line versus "10" line.

7 series = Radeon 7000, 7200, 7500, etc.
8 series = Radeon 8000,8500,etc.etc.
9 series = Radeon 9000, 9200, 9600, 9700, 9800, etc.etc.
10 series = Radeon X300, X700, X800, X850, X1600, X1800, X1900 etc.etc.

I'm wondering if they'll stick with X for a while or go "XI" hehe.

We should start a betting pool for the next gen, DX10 cards. Will they be the "X2000" or XI300, XI800, etc.etc. :D

Whats the next best thing to a X800GTO

and games these days are gona start needing 256 mb gfx card minimum u sure i shouldnt get 512 mb gfx card?

Assuming ur talking about AGP, from ATI, that would be the X1600PRO, while from NVIDIA it would be the 6800 and the 6800GS.
And yes, most games today require a powerful (meaning at least 8-pipeline) 256MB graphics card to run acceptably. 256MB is the standard config, although certain cards like the 6600GT are available in 128MB versions only while others like the X1600PRO and the 6800 are available in 512MB versions, albeit with slower memory than their 256MB versions.
There's no point in getting a larger amount of slower memory since performance will suffer compared to a 256MB card with faster memory. Video card memory is mainly used for textures and stuff and it's only games like Oblivion which need a lot of it, due to the extreme amount of textures involved. So a good 256MB graphics card like the 6800GS will serve u well until u can upgrade to PCI-E.

Which one is best!

okay been talking to F1N3ST he said nvidias are goosd but get a second oppinion on here..

Is a nvidia 6800GS better than a ATI Radeon X800GTO i have heard nividia is good for Linux and Games where as ATI isnt good for Linux..

Should I get the 6800GS?

Sharkfood said:
So instead of the 9800 vs 10800, they opted to call the "X" line versus "10" line.

Thank God... my abacus was having trouble keeping up with all the digits.

Benan said:
Is a nvidia 6800GS better than a ATI Radeon X800GTO i have heard nividia is good for Linux and Games where as ATI isnt good for Linux..
Again,
X800GTO (normally): 12 pipelines, 256 bit memory interface.
6800GS: 12 pipelines, 256-bit memory interface.

This puts them as "even" from a raw horsepower perspective.

The 6800GS has two added feature benefits- FP16 blends for a rare few titles that require FP blended HDR (Oblivion, Splinter Cell, Far Cry)... also support for SM3.0 (slightly nicer looking water textures in Age of Empires 3).

It is absolutely true that NVidia has more stable/mature Linux drivers compared to ATI. ATI has a basic set of Linux drivers and nowhere near the support NVidia has on the Linux side of things. If you plan to not only run Linux but develop OpenGL games on Linux as well as play games on Linux, Nvidia is the clear choice here.

I'd also re-mention many of the Sapphire X800GTO's come with 16-pipes vs. 12-pipes. This is a dice-roll though and luck of the draw. In the case of several I bought here for misc. AGP bound systems, I got three with 16-pipes and these obviously have a lot more power than the 12-pipe 6800GS.

F1N3ST said:
But im sure that it wouldnt break the 20FPS lead in OpenGL games.
There is no real "20 fps" lead.. just ganked, crappy default driver settings.

ATI's default is high quality, less shimmer, high quality filtering. NVidia's default is low quality, high shimmer, low quality filtering. When you set the NVidia's drivers to their "High Quality" setting, you see the performance change back to the level people who actually run the cards experience (i.e. they give up the eyesore default settings and enable high quality):
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/quality_quantity/diagrams/6dm_total.gif

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/quality_quantity/diagrams/6dm2_total.gif

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/quality_quantity/diagrams/sam_4x.gif

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/quality_quantity/diagrams/trl_4x.gif

You can see from above why "trusted reviews" isn't so trustworthy. I'd stick to sites like FiringSquad, Tom's or Anand's as they generally try to setup the NVidia's drivers to achieve the same level of IQ so as they aren't cheating scores in any way.

Okay im gona tell you, i dont understand pipelines and stuff thats why im posting so with nvidia 6800GS be better than the X800GTO :p

From what F1N3ST has told me, it is and i should get it but i wana make sure

Nah, the X1600PRO is available in AGP too but it sucks compared to the X800GTO and the 6800GS. If ur asking between the 6800GS and the X800GTO, I would go for the 6800GS. However, if u can get hold of a Connect3D X800GTO, it's possible to flash it's BIOS so u can unlock the 4 locked pipelines on it. That would give it a tremendous performance boost over the 6800GS. But otherwise, the 6800GS is the better one.
P.S. ->If u can afford it, get an X800GTO2 instead. It can unlock to 16 pipelines for sure and will give blazing fast performance.

6800GS it is ;]

Now I got my PSU chosen out and sure it fits, thanks so much for your help guys :)

Also fi any one else has an oppinion plz post *waits for sharkfood*

Sounds like a great upgrade. :)

Just be sure you're getting a decent PSU as not all PSU's are made equal. It should have good amperage rating on the 12v rail, decent wattage and preferrably be from a name brand.

Antec makes great PSU's.

And yes, I think the 6800GS is a perfect upgrade. As I posted earlier, all things being equal, it's an X800GTO with FP16 blends (for a couple titles with HDR) and SM3.0 for the game AoE-III. They perform identically once IQ settings are set to be the same quality and I've used both the 6800GS and 7800GS AGP cards- they work awesome.

One last consideration will be cooling... be sure your case has some decent cooling as these newer videocards do generate a lot of heat. You'll want some way secondary to your PSU fan to exhaust the hot/trapped air out of the case. This is usually provided in the form of intake or exhaust case fans.

Good luck!

The fan on the card isn't adequate enough in some cases. Just make sure to have extra case fans installed to get all the hot air out of ur case. And the PSU fan only cools the PSU, not the rest of the system. If u don't wanna get any extra case fans, get an aftermarket cooler for the card from Zalman, Thermalright or Arctic Cooling. I recommend this one. It's an excellent cooler and is quite cheap compared to similar coolers from other companies. Also, it is an excellent quality product. And it's made for ur card too.

I edited my post.. it has like holes in the side so thats probs a vent, and its starting to bug me taht to get one gfx card i need a new PSU and now a new cooling system >_>

It's not necessary mind you. Only get it if the card gives u problems later. Otherwise, the onboard fan will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back