ATI Radeon 9800XT Problems

By hamed_s
Jun 9, 2005
  1. ATI Radeon 9800XT Problems, Need Help!!

Help needed!!!

I just upgraded my graphic card from a Nvidia GeForce 5200 128mb TO an ATI Radeon 9800XT 256mb.
    Ever since, my PC has slowed down and has a sluggish performence in Doom3 and Halflife 2 games.
    I think I have done everything correctly in installing the card. I first uninstalled the old drivers then installed the latest ATI drivers from the net. I am really pissed off about this. I would appreciate any help.

PC Specs:

Dell Dimension 8300
    Win Xp Pro SP2
    Intel P4 3.0 GHz cpu
    512MB 400Mhz DDR ram
    80GB 7200 rpm Hard
    dell 17" LCD
    Onboard Sound
  2. kol_indian

kol_indian TS Rookie Posts: 316

There might be some hardware conflict, do u have any PCI card right next to ur graphic card , if so try changing the that card to some other slot.

all the best
  3. LeQue

LeQue TS Rookie

I have same problem.

I recently replaced my Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128mb with a ASUS ATI Radeon 9800XT. I did the same thing and uninstalled old drivers before putting in the new card and installing the latest Radeon Driver. I am experiencing really bad frame rates for this card and they are not much better than the 5200 if not worse. I have tried driver cleaner pro and removed all traces of nvidia drivers but still no result.

Gigabyte Ga-8IPE1000 Pro 2 Motherbard
    P4 3.0 Ghz HT
    512 DDR Ram
    Asus ATI Radeon 9800XT
  4. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

With an upgrade from the 5200 to a 9800XT you SHOULD be seeing a massive performance improvment. Something ain't right.

Did you connect the 4-pin molex connector from your PSU directly to the 9800XT?
  5. LeQue

LeQue TS Rookie

Yes i plugged it into the power source.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.