ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 review

Julio Franco

Staff member
AMD has proven itself, successfully launching the Radeon HD 3870 X2 on schedule, and perhaps even more important than that, having actual products on retail shelves immediately.

The ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 is essentially two Radeon HD 3870 GPUs stuck together on the same PCB. The GPUs use a PCI Express 1.1 bridge to communicate in much the same way Crossfire ATI cards would. However, because the X2 is meant to be a 'transparent' single card solution, it doesn't require a supporting motherboard, and in fact it opens the possibility for quad-Crossfire using two of these graphics cards.

https://www.techspot.com/review/86-ati-radeon-hd-3870-x2/

Please leave your feedback here. Thanks!

I like where they are going with this, and as long as they start releasing decent drivers I think they will do great

Agreed on that. Current drivers are not bad at all in terms of performance, but we suspect there is still room for improvement.

Vision tec vs Asus

I am curious why the price difference between the vision tec 3870 x2 ($379.99) and the Asus 3870 x2 ($ 219.99) . Can any one tell me. I am leaning toward the Asus because I have the asus P5E3 deluxe wifi-ap@n. can anyone help

I'm not an ATI guy per say, but I really enjoyed reading this review. Mostly because it focused on price comparason to a single version of the card and just about every oem builder and even some retail built machines have at least a single pci E slot. Good job on the review TS.

Thanks julio, I choose the 3870 x2 because of the four dvi.... I read your review about the 4870 and the high heat scares the bejeepers out of me. being a new builder, I'm learning more and more every day.....
Asus PsE3 deluxe wifi@n,
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core
PNY VCG86512GXPB-OC GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-KKR3-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case Real Power Pro 1000W Power Suppl

Back