ATI Radeon X 1600 Pro PCIe won`t fit in slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am fairly green when it comes to computers, so I apologize if my termanoligy is a little off.
I recently purchased a Dell Dimension E310 and the current integrated graphics card is not cutting it for Flight Simulator X, so I purchased an ATI Radeon X 1600 Pro PCIe graphics card, as my research indicates, it is supposed to work for this computer, but it doesn't seem to fit in the slot. Am I loosing my mind or is there something that I have overlooked. Please help.

Thanx

Do you want the bad news or the...... bad news.....

Your system does not have a PCIe x16 slot, nor does it have an AGP slot.

Your options for upgrading your graphics are extremely limited on that system. You can ONLY use PCI or PCIx1 graphics (not PCI-e x16).

Umm.... Welcome to Techspot? Wish it was with better news. So it goes with Dell....

Here is a good thread outlining your graphics card options for your PCI slot: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51437.html

Bad thing to hear..Hopefully you can return it, or sell it to someone.

or

Get your dremel and make it fit!(lol jk)

Or he could get a new motherboard that works with all the hardware he already has AND also has a PCIe x16 slot. (Best option IMO)
Most PCI card are very bandwidth limited and therefore don't do well in newer games.

thanks

My wife stood in line at best buy from 4:00am untill 9:30am to get me this graphics card on sale...that sucks! LOL

is the PCI x1 card worth the trouble?

Does anyone wanna buy a graphics card? $100 plus shipping and handling

thank you everyone that responded..I appreciate the bad news...LOL

Ordinary PCI cards are rather sh*tty when it comes to newer games, but if you really don't want to get a new motherboard then it's your only option. :(

I'm sorry that your wife had to go through five hours of waiting just to get a card you can't use.

As suggested you could get another Mobo and use the card if you really are determined to play the game. Flight Sim X will not run well/at all on most PCI cards.

For what it is worth, I think your wife is super sweet, and what she did truly shows how much she loves you. Wow.

I'd agree with the suggestion on getting a new motherboard. If she went through that much hassle to get you that card, I'm sure she would LOVE to see you using it.

Edit: I just did some research to see what would be involved in upgrading your motherboard. It can be done. Your board is (unfortunately) Dell proprietary meaning that not just any board will fit in there. You need to get a motherboard from a Dell E510. It is identical in specs to your current board, plus it has a PCI-e x16 slot for graphics.

You will also need a new power supply, as it appears your current psu is 305 watts. This is the one you would need: http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47D

At that point (upgrading your mobo, psu, and vid card) you just as well buy a new system.

He already has the vid card, so we are talking mobo and PSU.

Tough call really. I think that as the parts are dell proprietary they are not going to come cheap, nor are they necessarily easy to find.

I just kinda want to see him be able to use that card. I mean common, his wife waited hours to get it for him... that can't go to waste.

[DonNagual curses at Dell]

Yeh, i completely understand, but buy the time you buy the mobo, and psu, lets say $240, you could buy a decent asus mobo($70), a decent antec psu ($40), and Pentium D ($80), and 512 of ram ($40). He could also still use that vid card, and sell those parts on ebay or sumthin.

He should build a computer and give it to his wife or something to... I dont know thank her for being nice to him :D

Unless she is a computer geek, not cool ;)

Here's the thing I like most about his wife. She went at 4am to buy something for him that HE would like. In general, spouses are not supportive of a computer gamer. They see it as a threat, as it takes away time they could be spending together.

But she went at 4am to buy him a card so he can play his game because she knew it was something he would enjoy. THAT is love.

Buying her a computer? Maybe.... but not likely. I don't know... for most women, a dual core processor just doesn't really say "I love you". Not sure why, it certainly does it for me! :slurp:

for most women, a dual core processor just doesn't really say "I love you".

Well, i guess a 42" plasma or an 7.1 surround sound system will do. ;)

Hey, my mom bought be a cheeseburger from Carl's Junior when i was waiting in line for 22 hours for the Wii, does that count as love? I guess i'll have to buy her a ps3 in return for Christmas.

is the PCI x1 card worth the trouble?
There are a few PCI x1 graphics cards available but they are not very advanced models. However, the X1300 model shown here at Newegg does appear to meet the minimum standards of Flight Simulator X. It is a bit pricey for what you get though.

twite said:
Well, i guess a 42" plasma or an 7.1 surround sound system will do. ;)

Hey, my mom bought be a cheeseburger from Carl's Junior when i was waiting in line for 22 hours for the Wii, does that count as love? I guess i'll have to buy her a ps3 in return for Christmas.

Lol you were one of the people who camped outside for a Wii? :D

My friend waited for the PS3 on Tuesday and it didnt release till friday :haha:

Unless she is a computer geek, not cool

Well... I wouldnt mind having a girlfriend who is a computer geek... Aslong as she is hot then it's all good :)

TimeParadoX said:
Well... I wouldnt mind having a girlfriend who is a computer geek... Aslong as she is hot then it's all good :)

LOL. You misunderstood me there. I meant that unless she is a computer geek, getting her a computer would not be cool . I think computer geek women are VERY cool! :approve:

Yeah because if my hands get tired of headshoting people ( like I get tired ;) ) in Counterstrike she could take over and still be owning them :D

Yes, Computer girls are awesome :)

Lol you were one of the people who camped outside for a Wii?

Yup, made $750 profit off ebaying 4 of them :)

I did keep one for myself and i love it. I Recommend it to everyone, especially the ignorant people that say it sucks just because it doesn't have amazing grapahics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back