ATI to mass produce R420 graphics chip in 1Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
ATI Technologies is expected to enter volume production of its R420 graphics chip core as early as the end of the first quarter, according to local industry sources.

The R420 will be fabricated at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) using a low-k process technology. The graphics chip core is expected to boast 160 million transistors and support an AGP 8x bus and GDDR3 memory architecture. The product name is currently unknown.

Read more: Digitimes.

If ATi is able to get their R420 working with low-k correctly, this will really put nVIDIA on the spot, especially since nVIDIA is so inclined to make ATi look bad by saying low-k is a horrible idea.

I can't see nVIDIA reclaiming the speed crown anytime soon, unless their NV40 is a real sleeper. It's possible, but I'm dubious to their claim of "double the performance of the 5900 Ultra," a line they seem to slap on all of their next-gen products.

yeah if nvidia can pul something out tof their @sses then the might take the crown back. But ATI is on a roll lets hope the low-k rocess puts Nvidia's theory on it to shame. We can only wait for the R420 and NV40 to see who is king of the hill. It is Hank Hill either. Hehe (that was so bad..):D

Originally posted by Federelli
On a side note, what will Ati name this cards?
Do you think they'll still use the Radeon name?

I think so....it's worked well for them and the Radeon name seems to denote an earned respect from their overall quality....not to mention the overall driver improvements with the Catalyst line.

On the flip side, hopefully this new chip release will start to drive down prices on some of the current models. I've started to get the itch for a new card....even though my Radeon 64 VIVO is still running flawlessly and hasn't been seriously tested yet. :grinthumb

On a side note, what will Ati name this cards?
Do you think they'll still use the Radeon name?

They will probably keep the Radeon name but change the numbering scheme. The "Radeon 10000" might sound a little ridiculous. ATi has had success in their Radeon line and I don't think they'll give it up so soon. Just like Microsoft and their Windows, Intel and their Pentium, AMD and their Athlon, nVIDIA and their GeForce, etc.

Radeon FX anyone? Radeon XP? ;)

Yes, Radeon 15000 XT sounds really bizzarre and out of this world ;)

Perhaps Radeon 420 or something like that... we'll find out soon anyway, and i expect a news item here about it :p

Yes, Radeon 15000 XT sounds really bizzarre and out of this world ;)

Perhaps Radeon 420 or something like that... we'll find out soon anyway, and i expect a news item here about it :p

Thats a good point, however I do think they'll keep the name just beacuse its finally built up a good reputation. Glad to see the R420 chips on the road, im anxious to see the 9800XT go down in price :cool:

They probably won't just go with Radeon 420 because it would confuse the average Joe Schmoe who thinks a higher number is better. He'd choose the Radeon 7500 over the 420. Unfortunately, ATI is probably going to have to add something like Radeon XP or Super Radeon to catch the eye of consumers...and then they'll be taunted by the tech industry for adding a lame prefix or suffix.

Thats what they get for using these 5000, 8000, 9700 numbers in the first place :p then again they probably did that because nVidia had like Ti4200, 4600. Good idea "Hey lets make it the 7200, that would seem much better then a 4200".

I doubt it...

Most of the pic's currently floating around (of both R420 and NV40) are fake, and are revealed as such quite fast....

From what I've read, it would seem that they are sticking with the "Radeon" name, but there doesn't seem to be any info (or sound speculation) about what numbers they'll use alongside it... It does seem that they won't use anything over 10k as it would be a too large a number..

Of course, I don't know anything, but it's what that seems most likely to me...

Federelli> Wasn't Viper the codename for one of the 3dfx chips? In that case it would be strange if ATI used the name (unless to get the die-hard 3dfx'ers from Nvidia), as Nvidia bought all the IPO from 3dfx...

Yeah i also think that the pics are a hoax, but will have to wait to see :(

And about 3dfx having a Viper product... ermm no, S3 has a card named Viper...

3DFX has: Voodoo Graphics/Rush/Banshee/2/3/4/5, Rampage, Daytona, Ghost, Sage...

Yeah, my bad...
I found out a bit after posting the above, but didn't want to log in just to post an errata...

But I'd still be very surprised if ATi changed the name from Radeon to Viper...

Well Viper was used by Diamond to sell the Savage 2000 based Viper II.

They had previous cards using the viper name too so it wasn't really a codename for any S3 chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back