ati x800xt, fx-53, abit av8 mobo, gig ram, crash problems, built computer myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler98133

GAMES CONSTANTLY CRASH! FX-53,X800XT,1g ram,built pc myself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
any known compatibility issues w/ kingston memory, sb audigy, abit mobo, and ati gpu's??? i'm on a mission to solve these crashes!

i built a pc in october of last year and ever since then i've had a problem with games always crashing. i am to the point of throwing it out the window b/c i built the system just for gaming and it wont work! anybody who can help, i owe you big, like $2,000 big. i'll describe best i can...

Abit av8 pro mobo
amd fx-53 cpu
ati oem x800xt video card
audigy 2zx sound card
kingston kvr 2x512mb (1gig memory)
antec 550w ps
thermaltake cpu cooling fan

almost every single time i sit down and start playing a game my computer randomly crashes. it varies in the ways that it crashes
i.e.
--sometimes it throws a blue screen reboot (this is always accompanied by a very high pitch noise that emits from the speakers right before rebooting???),

--sometimes i get crash to desktop w/o any error message.

--sometimes i get crash to desktop with an error message relating to physical memory dump: critical error.

i have tried multiple forums, browsing to find a solution, but never figured it out.

i have the latest catalyst drivers from ati (fast write disabled)..i've been told some people have compatibility problems with audigy sound cards..maybe this??? i've heard kingston memory can sometimes suck...tried memtest86 for awhile, didn't find errors.. and these random crashes only happen when playing games! i'm so ready to give up. can somebody please help me find my solution!!! shouldn't this setup perform like a beast?? i'm angry!

p.s. this system runs hot so i keep the side of the case removed w/ an external fan blowing inside the case..i don't overclock anything.

sometimes i can play the games for an hour before crash, sometimes 15 minutes, even 5 minutes.. it is completely random. most often the blue screen, screech sound, and reboot happens, and when it restarts windows i get a critical error message. next time it happens i will copy, paste the details of the message. i think it says physical memory dump or something like that.

list of games played include:
far cry
doom 3
ut 2004
gtr fia
guild wars

and the most recent: battlefield 2 demo

well it sounds to me that you have a heating problem,, maybe you should download a tempiture monider and see the cpu and gpu temps, also if u think its the sound card wh dont you remove it and see if the games still crash

just a thought good luck, i hope u get it fixed soon

also WELCONE TO TECHSPOT

i'm gonna try pulling the sound card tonight when i get home. i am crossing my fingers it is a sound card problem, as i've got an external fan blowing right into the side of my case. i'd be amazed if it was a heat problem after 6 internal and one big external fan blowing into that damn thing. i know the gpu runs hot, but man that's ridiculous if its still overheating!

could you supply a link to where i can d/l an app. to view video card temp while running an application? i know how to view it in bios, but not on desktop.

there are lot third party applications which does this try motherboard moniter i think it is good one. :grinthumb

My system is similar except for a different motherboard and brand of RAM but fortunately, I don't have any problems.

Your motherboard should have come with monitoring utility programs but if not, you can go to Abit's site and download them for free.

well...i tried it all last night..updated audigy drivers (didn't work), pulled audigy card (didn't work) no error message is given... i did however lose the screech sound before the reboot...now the only reboot im getting goes like this

playing bf2 for about 10 minutes and a "blank" blue screen appears for about 2-3 seconds, then the computer reboots..no error message, no indication of the crash...anybody else had this happen to them? what the heck is going on with this thing!

i am now running the sound card on my mobo

i dont think anybody has suggested metest as this could be a memeory problem, but overheating seems to be the primary source of the problem, check it first before doing anything esle what are ur system temperature.

well i've re-installed windows and followed just about every step in the windows xp tweaking companion. xptc. the only crash i get now goes like this

playing bf2 and at any random time it will crash to desktop without any error message or log of it in the event viewer. very interesting stuff to me..i bet its my memory being overworked huh?? that or overheating i bet...damnit!

Hi Tyler,
I've had some pretty heinous X800XT temp problems ever since upgrading to the 5.6 Catalyst drivers (discussion by others at Rage3D... still trying to get to the bottom of this).

A pretty handy way to tell if this is an issue is to pick up ATI Tray Tools and use it's Hardware Monitoring to log. Once activated, it will log the GPU and ENV temps of the videocard every second. Handy when running benchmarks to see what your peak temp reached was.
http://www.radeon2.ru/atitray/

Install and run ATI Tray Tools. Right-Click on it's icon in the systray and go into Hardware and then "System Tray Hardware Monitoring". Check Enable Hardware Monitoring and Log to File. Click OKAY

In the C:\Program Files\Ray Adams\ATI Tray Tool folder, you'll find a nice text file "hwmon.log" with the second-by-second GPU/ENV temp readings once you set this mode.

I'd also ask if you have the time to pick-up GLExcess:
http://www.glexcess.com/files.htm

It's a free GL benchmark that I've found hits staggering highs moreso than most games I own. Running that as a single benchmark run with all tests at 1280x1024 while running ATI Tray Tool's hardware monitoring to log should yield what peak GPU temps you get. The "City Lights" test after running all the subsequent tests- I've found stock-cooled X800 XT's hitting 85-90C even in ABSURD cooled cases (I have 5 case fans, 2 intake, 2 exhaust, 1 side fan blowing right at the videocard).

Good luck!

OMG, i thought i was going crazy until i started lookign for other people with similar problems..

oops.forgot, hi all..

anyway..

I have a similar setup.

Abit AV8 3rd eye
AMD 3200 s939 (stock cooler)
1Gig Corsair pc3200
Audigy 2 ZS pci
Powercolor ATI X800 Pro
Hiper 580W psu

Problems i have had over last month or so.

This normally happens playing bf2, but sometimes happens on desktop, or whilst running 3dmark. It seems random.

I am happily playing away, and all of a sudden i get massive slowdown, or sprites go blocky and black (helicopter rotor blades for example > see picture Heliblocktor I then often get total lockup, and the game crashes with no error messages back to desktop. Or...and this isnt far off yours Tyler, the game goes slow for half a second, then i get a screeeech, and the pc resets. These 2 seem to happen the least. The most frequent crash is where the graphics go all funny >> Before After and also Desktop went funny

I have used atitray tools to test gpu and sys temp but they both never go above 58deg C for gpu and 44 for system (I have a coolercase extreme xs which has 4x 120mm fans and 2x 80mm fans so it stays reasonably cool)

I have tried removing all pci devices (lancard, soundcard) and still it happens. Bios updated the mobo. I have sent the gfx card back to aria for testing and they said it was fine. I am now left with a system i cannot use as it crashes all the time.

I now suspect it to be the mainboard at fault, hence the reason for finding this thread.

I have emailed abit but have not received a response yet. The only thing left is to send the mobo back and buy a new one..

Any updates from your situation Tyler?.

Cheers

ok, now something lese has gone funny...

the picture links in previous email, arent displayign properly. When i up them to webspace, they change from corrupted images to just black?. I can email them if anyone is interested..

Cheers.

x800t Same problems with Battelfield 2

Hi - I have the same porblem with my ATI x800Xt when playing B2. Blackouts and then some times a screech, loss of video signal and then reboot.
System:
ASus A8V
Fx55 CPU
250 gig HD
124 Meg Ram
Win XP Pro

Must be a driver problem - apart from B2 my system has been rock solid.

Anyone else had this problem and come up with a fix - I have seen so many suggested settings for th video card for B2 but none seem to give me trouble free play :confused:

I got a reply from abit and after a few adjustments we both agreed that returning the board to dabs.com was the best thing. The only worry i have now is that they get the board back, examine it and say theres nothing wrong. I'm back to sqaure one then :dead:

B2 Crashes Update

After much tweaking with BIOS and desktop setting I think I may finally have found the problem with my set up - when I removed the 5% overclocking setting for my Fx55 in the bios, Battlefield 2 worked without a hitch!!

Will see how I get on playing tonight but if you have any overclocking on your pc's switch this off first - you may be okay.

Other things I did were:-
refresh to 60 hz
removed on board sound chip in Bios (have Audigy anyway)
set game command line to include same 1280 x 1024 as desktop

Happy (for now!) :grinthumb

Same Problem

Hey Guys,

This is my first time posting something so bear with me.....RePhLeXX, I have the exact same problem you're having. I don't think it's your mobo causing the problem, I strongly believe it's your video drivers. When I am playing a game my screen starts to 'tear' apart and the textures start to change colour. The game itself either slows down to a point where I can't play it, or it just quits to the desktop without any error messages. From time to time (not very often) I will get the blue screen of death.

This problem really started to happen to me when I updated my my ATI drivers. When I use the older video drivers (v5.6) all my games work perfectly! The problem is, some of my newer games require the most updated drivers to run, such as Day of Defeat: Source.

I also noticed that when my computer starts experiencing these problems it could be temporarily fixed. When textures start chaning colour and screen tearing happens what I normally do is simply change the resolution in my game and it corrects the problem for about 10 - 15 minutes, then I have to do it again.

Now I am running Service Pack 1, installing SP2 messes up my computer. Perhaps this could have something do with it?!?! Could anyone with SP2 confirm this for me?

I know this doesn't really help anyone, but I think it's the ATI video drivers acting up.

I Had that Same Problem

Try pulling the Audigy

I have the same card collecting dust on my desk because Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War kept crashing with this awfull screeeeeeeech!

Roll without the Audigy for a few hours and see...

Oh, and just for fun, try to get Creative's techs to admit their cards have an issue, they'll just tell you to update drivers. Bastards!

Oh and also

Battlefield 2 is a cool game but...

EA Games couldn't program to save their bastard lives!

The problem could also be the fault of poor programing by EA games.

Maybe try a different game and see.

If your up for an adventure try running Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War on that audigy of yours, see if you get the same screech. If not, disreguard the previous post as our screeches are different.

Take it easy

Hey Guys,

Having the same problem with screeching crash while playing World of Warcraft. System Specs:

Asus P4P800E
ATI X800XT
2gig Ultra PC3200
Soundblaster Audigy 2

The system will just randomly crash with that awful sound. Glad (not really) to see I am not the only one with this problem.

Audigy 2 mixed with X800 series could be the culprit

I didn't really think of it before, but the Audigy 2 in the same system as the X800 series cards could be the problem...

Of course, Creative and ATI will both deny it

Oh well.

I'll Try the Audigy 2 in an old FX5200 System and see if I get the screeching crash.

via and ati problems

I've noticed that with my 9600xt video card that if I go into windows task manager and shutdown the processes labeled ati2evxx.exe (in my computer their are 2) that games will play fine. Discovered this fix after months of replacing video card, memtest, replacing psu, changing agp speed...,

me too

I too have been having problems with the blue screen and the screetching, BUT NOT in BF2, for me it only happens in Sim City 4.

Here is my setup:

Ati X800 XT PE
3.4Ghz P4
Abit IC7
SB Audigy

has anyone got any remote idea what the problem is?

I've had the same problem, but I don't have an ATi card. My computer was randomly crashing with the screaching sound whenever I played, mostly BF 2, but I tried other games and it did the same thing. I tried running with only one stick of ram, and the problem stopped. Even after running Memtest numerous times and not getting any errors, I decided to replace my ram. Problem solved. Evidently the one stick of ram I pulled out was bad.

By the way, I went from 1 gig to 2 gigs of ram, and BF 2 sure runs better and loads way faster. This game really loves a lot of ram.

Unfortunately, good as the Memtest86+ programme is. Some faulty ram can, and does Pass memtest86+. So don`t rely solely on the programme.

Always let the Memtest86+ programme run for at least seven passes with each stick of ram. Overnight may be even better.

If Memtest86+ gives you ram errors, then your ram is most likely bad.

If Memtest86+ says your ram is good, take out your ram stick/s, and clean the contacts with an eraser, also make sure there is no dust in the dimm slots. Blow away the remnants, and Replace the sticks one at a time, and test your system.

Make sure your ram isn`t overclocked in bios.

Try moving your ram to a different dimm slot.

If you can try a known good stick of ram.

Make sure that your ram is supported by your motherboard.

You can check with your motherboard manufacturers website for supported types, and makes of ram.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back