ATI's big OEM wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
The Economic News in Taiwan reports Asustek, Gigabyte and Microstar International, which are the largest manufacturers of motherboards in Taiwan, will all use integrated graphic chipsets from ATI with the Radeon 9200 graphics core. This is a negative for NVIDIA given the co's lack of a bus license for both the Pentium 4 and Pentium-M. The bus license provides the ability to connect to Intel's microprocessor.

Source: Yahoo News.

How is this negative for Nvidia? If Nvidia doesn't even provide P4 chipsets, how does it hurt them? This doesn't effect them at all. It is just a plus for ATI.

It means that ATI is getting a foot in the door to motherboard manufacturers...

If they get a good relationship with them, they're more likely to choose to produce a motherboard with ATI chipset for AMD too...

And it means that if Nvidia gets a license to create Intel chipsets, they'll have to "fight upwards", since ATI allready has products on the market...

Last it means that ATI will be able to get a higher % of the market share than they would otherwise, and thus nvidia's role as "market leader" might not be so secure anymore...

It means that ATI is getting a foot in the door to motherboard manufacturers...

If they get a good relationship with them, they're more likely to choose to produce a motherboard with ATI chipset for AMD too...

Yeah I understand that but that is still a different area; not different in chipset in general, but in a different area of chipset sales. The AMD market is huge, not as big as Intel, but huge none the less for Nvidia to make plenty of money without being involved with Intel. Nvidia has stated they have no interest in being involved with Intel chipsets. And if they did, I am sure they would have a good product to compete, especially if it is as quality as the nForce is for AMD. Bottom line, it isn't going to really affect Nvidia's bottom line. As long as the nForce continues to gain AMD market share as well and as AMD gaining market share over Intel..... too many things change in such short time for so much time to go by for this to actually effect Nvidia like you described.

Wow, if NVIDIA started making Intel chipsets, that would be really cool. I would undoubtedly get rid of my 845E and get myself a nice nForce I ;) . If only NVIDIA did have interest, which I am sure they do now, we would be seeing some pretty sweet competing for motherboards between the two industrial giants that are NVIDIA and ATi.

So called "good" and "bad" things are irrelevant to us, at least in this case, because we see the benefits of it; which is the reason supporting one company over the other is just *****ic - insulting myself again ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back