ATI's drivers degrade in quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whack0

hmm.... i didnt ask that right...

anyways, something's been buggin me...

ati's new catalyst drivers rock, dont get me wrong, but after a couple of uses, it seems like... i dunno... they "wear" out.
for example, the first time i installed it, i immediately tested it's performance with 3d mark 2k1 se. i got my record high of 6903 points. i was of course excited to see this result. but now whenever i run 3d mark, it hovers around 6800 points (even after a cold fresh reboot).

so... is this normal? what makes it go down like that? is it possible for me to bring it back up (and even surpass my record)?

welcome me back from a long vacation from techspot! :p
(you can thank my good man Phatman for reminding me of this place again :D)

Originally posted by Whack0
welcome me back from a long vacation from techspot! :p
(you can thank my good man Phatman for reminding me of this place again :D)

Nice to have you back Whack0 :)

Why have you been away for so long? (Please post it in a new thread in the meetin' spot...)

As for your Q... I've never heard of anything like that before...

Are you sure you haven't changed anything on your 'puter since you ran 3DMark the first time?

Sounds like you have either added something new to the system or you changed some settings. Remember almost every component of your system, both software and hardware...as well as the user, will impact your system's performance.

Re: Re: ATI's drivers degrade in quality?

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

Why have you been away for so long? (Please post it in a new thread in the meetin' spot...)
post in new thread? hmm... i like attention, but not that much attention :p
well, the short story is.... i was extremely busy with school, and now that i'm on summer break (3 whole weeks... whoopie. and this is my last week too), gta3 (pc) and morrowind (pc) took a healthy portion of my time away from everything. now i'm back, and i hope i'll be posting some more instead of just sitting on my lazy toosh.

...aaaanyways, yeh, you are right, StormBringer. I did change some video settings (from the advanced menu and stuff). but i only changed it in hopes of improving my record score. i saw that it did squat, and even getting lower scores, so i changed it back to default settings. but then when i put it back at default, the 3d mark score didnt improve any from when i changed it. i even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the catalyst drivers, but it still hovered around 6800 points.

was it just luck or a glitch that i got 6900 points??

Re: Re: Re: ATI's drivers degrade in quality?

post in new thread? hmm... i like attention, but not that much attention :p
well, the short story is.... i was extremely busy with school, and now that i'm on summer break (3 whole weeks... whoopie. and this is my last week too), gta3 (pc) and morrowind (pc) took a healthy portion of my time away from everything. now i'm back, and i hope i'll be posting some more instead of just sitting on my lazy toosh.

Ok, well that explains a bit... Kinda like I had it, though I prioritzed TechSpot....

But i'll be gone for a while soon, as I don't have net connection where I'm moving too...

...aaaanyways, yeh, you are right, StormBringer. I did change some video settings (from the advanced menu and stuff). but i only changed it in hopes of improving my record score. i saw that it did squat, and even getting lower scores, so i changed it back to default settings. but then when i put it back at default, the 3d mark score didnt improve any from when i changed it. i even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the catalyst drivers, but it still hovered around 6800 points.

was it just luck or a glitch that i got 6900 points??

Well, some guy on a norwegian board quotes 6900 on an oc'ed LE, so I guess it's no glitch...

but I still have no idea on why you got a loss if you returned the settings as they were...
Guess there's a registry entry which was changed or something like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back