Attaching a GoPro to the blade of a ceiling fan is pretty trippy

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Who knew that GoPro cameras (or any action camera, for that matter) could produce so many unusual yet entertaining clips?

There’s not much back story to this clip. YouTuber “highvoltagefeathers” strapped a GoPro camera to the blade of a ceiling fan and recorded what happened as he turned the fan on from slow through high speed settings.

This is certainly one of those clips you don’t want to watch after you’ve had a couple of beers… or maybe, it’s exactly what you want to watch?

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

A couple of beers is only two beers and most people can handle that. Now if the author had said said "a few" or "several beers..."

Did this to an ex girlfriend once. She did not appreciate it.

You attached her to the blade of a ceiling fan?...

You make it sound like that isn't a normal romantic.... experiment....

Most likely it was an inflatable girlfriend that got strapped to the ceiling fan.

No, THAT happened at a Home Depot and it wasn't my fault. Some knucklehead Employee of the Month decided to place an industrial floor fan right next to the main entrance. There was nothing I could do. The manager thought it was funny as hell, the bastard.

After that, I went back to organics. They're more emotionally confused than their synthetic counterparts, but at least they don't get sucked into cooling equipment.

973965980015654062.gif

I would not even take a chance at watching such a video. You don't even have to indulge to feel dizzy. It so happens that the fan blades come in matched - read balanced - sets . You do anything to upset this balance you are asking for trouble, unless of course it is going at like 15 - 20 rpm. How stupid of anyone to evn try this !

I would not even take a chance at watching such a video. You don't even have to indulge to feel dizzy. It so happens that the fan blades come in matched - read balanced - sets . You do anything to upset this balance you are asking for trouble, unless of course it is going at like 15 - 20 rpm. How stupid of anyone to evn try this !

There is no danger in this outside of the camera potentially flying off the blade, if improperly secured. The ceiling mount is more than strong enough to hold up to the force of an unbalanced fan. What's more, the motor isn't powerful enough spin at a high rate under load, let alone unbalanced under load. Assuming the fan is installed correctly, he could have probably spun himself (albeit very, very slowly...burning out the motor in the process).

Go back to your padded room.

Well, how hard would it be to place an opposing weight on the opposite two blades, from the camera? (Most all ceiling fans are five blades, so you have to split the balance weight between two opposing blades.

The amount of out of balance is also quite dependent on the distance from the axle. At the tip of the blade it is at its worst, as you go toward center, less so. The effective velocity of the blade also decreases, since it travels a shorter distance.

If I were a nasty person, (which of course I'm not), I would say, "how stupid is it to not take these factors into consideration"?

Back