Attempted a NTFS Decompression, now Everythings Crashing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

Hey there,

I recently discovered that compressing your files using the NTFS file compression isnt the best idea, particulary for gaming. Ive always done this and not thought anything of it but after learning that its not that good an idea, i decided to try and uncompress the files. Spec in in my Sig.

its mainly the 160g this is aimed at. It has 2 partitions

c: 129gb
e: 20gb

e: decompressed no problem, but i am having major problems after i attempted c. When i started it i forgot how long it took, so i canceled it after it got a short way into it. After all it was to uncompress 100gb of data. This left some files compressed and some uncompressed. THe first problem i noticed was MSN messenger stopped working, and gave a error message similiar to:

"error occured. The Paremeter's are incorrect"

But i reinstall fixed that and its going again. But now i having havoc with the rest of my computer. (i did attempt to compress it all again but i wasnt sure if that would help so i canceled it). Explorer keeps crashing,Firefox is crashing, everything is crashing, games especially. I have reinstalled graphic card drivers to try and help as well but to no avail. Today when i booted my pc i recieved constant "automatic update has encountered a problem and needs to close" errors, must have clicked dont send 50 times before it stopped. (Note i do not use automatic updates, the program just decided to crash itself, i never attempted to use it. Unles i done it by accident by i doubt it). When things do crash though they all give a similar message.

"Whatever program Has encountered a problems and needs to close".

Always the same.

Firefox was the first major culprit, one day i couldnt surf for more than 10 seconds before it gave me these messages. Although i Uncompressed the mozilla folder (just to test) and it still does it, but only every so often (usually doesnt at all unless i try to do something, eg watch a video on Google video, or even youtube.com

I dont have any spy/adware and my hijackthis log is clean. AVG says the pc is fine and i defrag nearly every day. I would like a solution though that wouldnt mean a format, this was my first thought but i have alot of data to back up, and itll take forever. So i would prefer to not have to format, although if you think its the only way then what must be done, be done.

I personally think i may have to compress it all again, as some system files may be different size's not (that there uncompressed) and its causing problems. But thats just my theroy and i thought it would be best to check with you guys before i mess it up more :)

can you mess it up more I doubt it
looks like your in for a reinstall
or select all files and decompress again
what does not need decompresed will stay the same
microsoft has some info on this sub if you dig deep in there msdn web site

It is not a good idea to cancel a decompression...

It seems as though you will need to reformat and reinstall windows.

Follow the link in my signature - on how to. And let me know how you go.

Regards,

Korrupt

I could compress the files again, it wouldnt be to hard. I could just wait until i bugger off for the day and leave it doing its stuff. And i suspected a format may be on the horizon. If you think compressing it all again may help then ill give it a go, if that doesnt help, i'll just back up my gear and reformat.

Thanx for the help guys :)

if you where decompressing start that over again if you where compressing
thats another issue and you may double compress files
you follow then again you may notat this point back up what you can and go for it
let us know as other people may find this topic for help

I didnt actaully think you could Double Compress files lol i assumed it would just bypass the files already compressed. I have a feeling that if i try to continue decompressing that the drive will become full, and really f*ck things up. After decompressing that 20g partition the drive had hardly any space left, and before it i had around 3g left. If i try to uncompress 100g worth of data, i only have 30g of le-way. And if that got full while it was decompressing, it could get very ugly.

I am intending to back my data up though, because i was expecting a format. (Due one anyways, never been this long without a format lol thats been about 6 months now!) So ill do that and then at the closest time, attempt to decompress everything. But ill try and find out if the NTFS compression would double compress or just bypass them, becuase i feel that would be LOADS quicker since most of the drives compressed neways, and in theroy that would put it back to its former self.

Ill start investigating once i back it all up, and then give it a shot and i'll let you guys know what happens so you dont make the same mistake :)

You can double compress files - except a lot of time if you use the same method for compression you'll actually end up with a slightly larger file the second time around.

It wasn't up for decompressing the rest of the files, the windows kept going white (as if they'd crashed) and not moving. So i decided just to format, which didn't go well :(

Once i got it up and running with sp2 + drivers installed i encountered a few problems. The first one was actually random restarts, but that hasn't happened in a while (within the past few hours) but time will tell if thats going to happen again. Another was the NT Authority message coming on saying it was shutting down my PC, and the reason was something to do with D COM. After researching what this was i found that it is something terminated from a remote location, so i disabled the service and set the NT Authority to instead of restarting the PC, to restart the service. And i hav'nt seen that since. I also had problems even installing WMP 11 , it wouldn't play anything until i replaced a quartz.dll file. But thats not the main problem unfortunately :(

It is still crashing programs with the "has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. This is actually the second time I've typed out this post because it crashed during the first. But the program crashes aren't as common as they were before, but there still happening. I tried a game earlier, one that crashed pretty badly before the format. During game play it didn't crash, but as soon as i closed it, i got a message that it had "Encountered a problem.." . Whether this was triggered by something that happened by closing the program, or it was going to happen in game and i was just lucky enough to close it before it did, i cant be sure.

I Also tried to update windows to fix some of the strange things that were happening (like that D COM thing, i read there was an update for it) but the XP Pro disc i have just now is an older one (a corporate one) , the one i had which i got off Microsoft Academic Alliance (along with a serial) has been lost (long story) and the serial i have wont work with this version of windows. Also i cant log into the site because i can't remember my user name or password, and i cant access my college email because the site is down! (Nothing likes me :() So i cant update windows because of the new WGA through the site, however i have found that this is possible using the automatic updates that come with SP2. I enabled them and they downloaded 48 updates. I am hoping that was all the ones i would need 2 protect me from the nasties.

So i have been scanning like mad, i used this thread and went through it all (got a clean Hijackthis log)
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html

I have scanned with Ad-aware and Spybot as well (which wouldn't update themselves, i had to do it manually. Several programs have done this so far). I'm going through all the utility programs i can find at the moment.

I also though i would ask that if you think theres a chance these things may be happening due to my RAM. It isn't faulty (as far as i know) and nothing like this has happened before with it, but i have 2 1G sticks (Corsair) and 2 512 sticks (1 is branded, don't think other is). They are in the appropriate channels but wouldn't run in dual channel, turns it this is due to that unbranded stick only runs at 2.5 latency, which the others run at 2.0, 2.5, 3.0. DRAM options are currently set to auto, because when i try to perhaps set them all to 2.5 i get the black screen. And have to clear Cmos for them to work again. I wasn't sure this was the culprit but i thought it would be best to ask because it would be no hassle to run with the 2 1g sticks for now, was told i may get even better performance, but i wanted to see if anyone thought this could be related to the crashes?

I hope someone can point me the right way because im so close to volleying this thing through the wall :mad:

Also sorry to make the post so long, got a bad habit of that, i just like to make sure you know as much as possible. And i also apologize for the constant plea for help on this, i do have idea's myself but i always like to double check incase i'm about to do something horribly wrong :)

P.S. I added what Sandra 07 says about the Ram , might make it more clear what i mean :)

yea i definetly made that to long and complicated lol well you can ignore the RAM part. I tried to use just the 2 1g stick's today, it booted up much faster i must say (thought he BIOS that is) but every time windows went to load it restarted. Apparently this s a popular problem but i cant seem to find a solution. Quite funny to think my PC runs faster with 2g ram than it does with 3g :)

Right ignore that (unless you know a special solution) i managed to get a good copy off the MSDNAA website with my serial. Its even more up to date than the one i had, this one lets me format the full 160g of my drive :) ill do this and let you know if it fixes anything

image must have been damaged as it keeps missing files. Im am going to post a new thread as the problem has changed now, thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back