Attempted connnection to malware site - Can't find the culprit

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC attempts connnection to malware site - Can't find the culprit app

My supervisor's PC is repeatedly trying to connect to:
http://203. 121. 69. 232 /theif2 /parse.php?op=log &fn=07_06_2007.html &user=SYSTEM_PC67&str= [spaces added to keep the URL from being clickable]

The only references I found for this IP are ramazun.com and registration from Australia.

I have scanned with Ad-aware SE, Spybot S&D v1.4, Ewido v3.5, Housecall from Trend Micro and TrojanScan.com. Nothing major was found by ANY of these scanners.

I looked at the processes with Sysinternals Process Explorer -- nothing odd looking there.

The PC seems to try on a random time basis -- even if the web browser is closed. It will try more frequently when the browser is open, though. The same results seem to occur whether Firefox or IE6 are used.

PC is a Gateway E-series workstation w/ Win XP Pro SP2 / Office 2003 SP? and a few other apps.

I am attaching the HJT log for your review. Certain items are redacted so as not to expose personal information. I would appreciate ANY help you folks can offer.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I can`t see anything obviously nasty in your HJT log. However, I am concerned at this entry O23 - Service: UpdateManager - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\update.exe. Even if this turns out not to be nasty, there`s obviously cause for concern with the symptoms you describe.

Please visit this link http://virusscan.jotti.org/
* Click the Browse... button
* Navigate to the following file C:\WINDOWS\update.exe

* Click Open
* Please let me know the results.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of CharlieJ only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Online Scanner Results

Here is the online scanner info on c:\windows\update.exe:

Scan taken on 07 Jun 2007 18:33:44 (GMT)
A-Squared
Found nothing

AntiVir
Found TR/Delphi.Downloader.Gen

ArcaVir
Found nothing

Avast
Found Win32:Agent-DDN

AVG Antivirus
Found PSW.Generic4.NCL

BitDefender
Found Generic.FWB.0FC021B5

ClamAV
Found nothing

Dr.Web
Found MULDROP.Trojan (probable variant)

F-Prot Antivirus
Found nothing

F-Secure Anti-Virus
Found nothing

Fortinet
Found Maha.RO!tr

Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Found nothing

NOD32
Found probably a variant of Win32/PSW.Maha.A (probable variant)

Norman Virus Control
Found nothing

Panda Antivirus
Found nothing

Rising Antivirus
Found nothing

VirusBuster
Found nothing

VBA32
Found Malware.Delf.69 (paranoid heuristics) (probable variant)

More to follow soon...

Hi,

Do continue with the steps Howard gave you and post the requested logs. We'll be able to provide more instructions upon seeing the logs.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of CharlieJ only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Ok, please do the following.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

UpdateManager

Close the services window.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

update.exe

Close task manager.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\update.exe

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Follow the rest of the instructions and post the requested logfiles.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of CharlieJ only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

More results...

Ad-aware already installed. Updated.
Spybot S&D already installed. Updated.
VirtuMonde / Look2Me removers run -- Nothing found.
AVG Antirootkit installed and run -- Nothing found.
Ad-aware run -- Nothing found.
Spybot S&D -- Nothing found.

Other logs attached.

Update.exe already gone. No process running with that name.

I need you to post the Combofix log, rather than the Combofix quarantine log. Please do so in your next reply.

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 from HERE. Save it to your Desktop and extract it.

2. Download the attached avengerscript.txt and save it to your desktop. The Avenger script is attached to the bottom of this post.

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by double clicking on its icon on your desktop.

Under "Script file to execute" choose "Load script from file".
Now click on the folder icon which will open a new window titled "open Script File"
navigate to the file you have just downloaded, click on it and press open
Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.

5. Please attach the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply, as well as fresh HJT and Combofix logs.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back