TechSpot

Attempted Service Pack 3 causing missing Boot Files

By DCBNSB
Jul 1, 2008
  1. hi im having a bit of a booting error. evertime i boot up i get Missing Ntldr and windows wont load.

i was trying to install SP3 with the direct download from Microsoft. I backed up all my settings n everything so when i get windows finally started i can clean things up.

I have full access to my drive Via my other box the problem is where or what do i need to do to it to have all the boot files recognized to start windows... ?

any help would be nice

2. DCBNSB

DCBNSB TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

its ok i fixed it. TY

3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Wow.

Now that's what i call good customer self-service :grinthumb
    Good work.

4. DCBNSB

DCBNSB TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

Thanks,
    yea....and i got SP3 installed too... and theres no difference

5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

I realize this is after the fact. But if you got SP1, SP2 and the updates since, you don't need SP3.

6. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

I don;t believe that's true:
    • The general statement about content i've noticed several places says "Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is the final Windows XP service pack, a collection of previously-released fixes and product enhancements, as well as a few new features that are unique to this release."
    • Microsoft releases a number of hotfixes that are not provided in general updates. A customer has to request it from MS. It wasn't clear whether all or some of these hotfixes u need by request remain outside the SP3 list of if some do get migrated into it.

7. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

I do not intend to argue this point. It can be documented on numerous sites on the internet.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.