Attempting to install a PCI video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a GeForce FX 5500 PCI to replace my computer's integrated graphics. I did some basic research, and found that the best way to disable the integrated graphics was to disable it in the BIOS.

I found the jumper on my motherboard, reset it, and soon, I was in the computer's BIOS. I set the graphics port thingy from the original AGP to PCI, but apparently, after plugging my monitor's cable into the graphics card's VGA port, I got "No signal". I was puzzled, as I've heard that many people have had success with installation as soon as the integrated graphics were disabled in the BIOS.

I also tried to disable the integrated graphics via Device Manager, and uninstalled the drivers that came with it. It was reverted to the Standard VGA driver, and I plugged my monitor's cable into the graphics card's VGA port once again, but to no avail.

So, I managed to disable the integrated graphics, but Windows is not recognizing my new PCI video card.

I meet the power supply requirements for this graphics card, but I don't understand why Windows is refusing to recognize my new video card, even after the integrated graphics have already been disabled in the BIOS and in the Device Manager, with the drivers already uninstalled, just as the graphics card's manufacturer has mandated.

Does your motherboard manual call for resetting the jumper prior to getting into the bios?? If not, you may have reset everything in the bios to default. Try turning your system off, and as it reboots, press the delete key (or whichever key gets you into your specific bios) without removing the jumper. Then look for an advanced category (or PCI PnP category). Look for a setting called plug and play system. Make sure it's set to yes or enabled. Save settings on exit and let the system boot up. See if the card is recognized then. If it is, just install the drivers for the card and you should be set.
Good luck.

sghiznaneck said:
Does your motherboard manual call for resetting the jumper prior to getting into the bios?? If not, you may have reset everything in the bios to default. Try turning your system off, and as it reboots, press the delete key (or whichever key gets you into your specific bios) without removing the jumper. Then look for an advanced category (or PCI PnP category). Look for a setting called plug and play system. Make sure it's set to yes or enabled. Save settings on exit and let the system boot up. See if the card is recognized then. If it is, just install the drivers for the card and you should be set.
Good luck.

Well, my computer came with no documentation on this; I just found this out on the internet. I reset the jumper soon afterwards so that I could use my computer and surf the internet for solutions. My computer apparently features a "locked" BIOS, so resetting jumpers is always necessary to access the BIOS. Stupid computer manufacturers...

I'll try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back