TechSpot

Audio CD writing in XP

By Spike
Feb 10, 2004
  1. I've never before had this problem in any other windows version, but it's the third time it's cropped up in XP, and I've never before been able to understand it!

When creating an audio CD, either from Media Player, Nero, or from the built in CD writing, it goes through the entire process, as if it were acctually writing the audio files on cd, but when it's finished, it won't play on a normal player. There is a file there for each track, butthese files are only about 4KB. It's almost like the computer is writing a shortcut to a music file on the hard disk (in fact, that's what it is. The cd's will play on the computer, but not from the CD. Double clicking on the track on the CD actually results in the track is being played from the hard disk.)

I'm sure this is OS based, which is why I posted it in here. Has anybody else ever had this problem?

2. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 482

Are you sure you are creating an AUDIO CD? The only way it should write shortcuts would be if it was set to write a data cd.

3. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 2,168

lmao. yes. I'm very sure I'm asking it to write audio cd's. Media player doesn't do data cd's anyway as far as I am aware.

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

What kind of audio files are you converting to audio CD? Are you sure they're not DRM-protected?

Try converting them into 44.1 kHz, 16-bit stereo WAVE files first.

5. Spike

It's done it with songs by Avril lavigne I've ripped from my sisters cd's to create a backup for her to use instead of scrathcing her shop bought one, with Type O negative CD's I've ripped myself for backups, and an assortment of other artists. When I have the problem, I have it with all my music files in all cd writing programs I have.

I generally rip into MP3 format. with the occasional WMA. Windows media player converts the files before burning. I don't have the problem right now (I don't think!), but it does occur from time to time, and nothing I do fixes it. I will check now.

6. [7DS]Greed

[7DS]Greed TS Rookie

I am sure theres an option in media player to protect WMA files so they cant be played on any other player

7. Spike

true, but mp3's? The other artists I've tried to burn to CD come from sources the music industry aren't fond of right now. Purely for evaluation purposes and problem diagnosis of course.

That's not to say you are wrong. I'llk have to check, but I don't think that's the problem.

8. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

Try using CDex http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ to convert the files to wav before burning, then use whatever burning method you've tried. And make sure you are creating an audio CD.

9. hullupelle

hullupelle TS Rookie

Used the programme above to convert mp3 to wav file and my cd's now work in all cd players.

Thanks for advice:)

10. Spike

OK. That's that little problem solved, but a question remains. Whay won't media player burn MP3's to audio disks. I know I've had it doing it before, and nero too.

11. jhary

jhary TS Rookie

CD Burning in Media Player 10 problems

I have had exactly the same problem. I purchased about 8 DRM tracks and downloaded them. The license allows me to burn them several times. Every time I burn a CD, Media Player inspects each track, then converts them before burning. BUT, for seven of the tracks it goes from 0% to 100% in an instant. One track slowly increments from 0% to 100%. When burnt, this one track is playable. The rest are only 6 seconds in size and play a few squeaks and that's all. No matter what I do, the same thing happens. I have tried downloading the tracks again, but nothings works.

There is a bug somewhere in media Player 10 and the DRM system.

12. onecalifman

onecalifman TS Rookie

About a week ago I read an article about what you posted here about- the
    way xp is set up to protect copyright infringements. There is a coding that has to be changed to make the coding on the cd match other cd players. I did not read far enough into the article to read that procedure, if it was in the article at all.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.