Audio CD writing in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

I've never before had this problem in any other windows version, but it's the third time it's cropped up in XP, and I've never before been able to understand it!

When creating an audio CD, either from Media Player, Nero, or from the built in CD writing, it goes through the entire process, as if it were acctually writing the audio files on cd, but when it's finished, it won't play on a normal player. There is a file there for each track, butthese files are only about 4KB. It's almost like the computer is writing a shortcut to a music file on the hard disk (in fact, that's what it is. The cd's will play on the computer, but not from the CD. Double clicking on the track on the CD actually results in the track is being played from the hard disk.)

I'm sure this is OS based, which is why I posted it in here. Has anybody else ever had this problem?

Are you sure you are creating an AUDIO CD? The only way it should write shortcuts would be if it was set to write a data cd.

lmao. yes. I'm very sure I'm asking it to write audio cd's. Media player doesn't do data cd's anyway as far as I am aware.

What kind of audio files are you converting to audio CD? Are you sure they're not DRM-protected?

Try converting them into 44.1 kHz, 16-bit stereo WAVE files first.

It's done it with songs by Avril lavigne I've ripped from my sisters cd's to create a backup for her to use instead of scrathcing her shop bought one, with Type O negative CD's I've ripped myself for backups, and an assortment of other artists. When I have the problem, I have it with all my music files in all cd writing programs I have.

I generally rip into MP3 format. with the occasional WMA. Windows media player converts the files before burning. I don't have the problem right now (I don't think!), but it does occur from time to time, and nothing I do fixes it. I will check now.

true, but mp3's? The other artists I've tried to burn to CD come from sources the music industry aren't fond of right now. Purely for evaluation purposes and problem diagnosis of course.

That's not to say you are wrong. I'llk have to check, but I don't think that's the problem.

OK. That's that little problem solved, but a question remains. Whay won't media player burn MP3's to audio disks. I know I've had it doing it before, and nero too.

CD Burning in Media Player 10 problems

I have had exactly the same problem. I purchased about 8 DRM tracks and downloaded them. The license allows me to burn them several times. Every time I burn a CD, Media Player inspects each track, then converts them before burning. BUT, for seven of the tracks it goes from 0% to 100% in an instant. One track slowly increments from 0% to 100%. When burnt, this one track is playable. The rest are only 6 seconds in size and play a few squeaks and that's all. No matter what I do, the same thing happens. I have tried downloading the tracks again, but nothings works.

There is a bug somewhere in media Player 10 and the DRM system.

About a week ago I read an article about what you posted here about- the
way xp is set up to protect copyright infringements. There is a coding that has to be changed to make the coding on the cd match other cd players. I did not read far enough into the article to read that procedure, if it was in the article at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back