TechSpot

Audio Drivers Won't Stay Loaded After Restart

By -Kestrel-
Jul 15, 2007
  1. Suddenly this weekend, every time I turn the computer on, my onboard Realtek AC'97 drivers apparently get lost, and I need to reinstall them and reselect my speakers as playback device.

Running Vista 64-bit Ultimate on an ASUS A8-N mobo with an AMD 64X2 4200+ CPU.

Haven't changed any hardware, nor have I installed any new or funky software.

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

The next time you boot up look in Device Manager for any yellow 'flags' and right click the flag and read the error and tell us about it.

3. -Kestrel-

-Kestrel- TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Sorry; meant to include that: Error 10, device cannot start. Which is what you'd expect if the drivers need to be reloaded. I can reload the drivers just fine from DevMgr; my question is why do they keep getting "lost"??

4. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,554

Although you're running Vista 64-bit, this could be spyware. The only anti-spyware utility I know that runs on Vista is Spybot Search & Destroy. Now, if it runs on Vista 64-bit, I'm not sure. But it's worth a try!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.