Audio Drivers Won't Stay Loaded After Restart

By -Kestrel-
Jul 15, 2007
  1. Suddenly this weekend, every time I turn the computer on, my onboard Realtek AC'97 drivers apparently get lost, and I need to reinstall them and reselect my speakers as playback device.

Running Vista 64-bit Ultimate on an ASUS A8-N mobo with an AMD 64X2 4200+ CPU.

Haven't changed any hardware, nor have I installed any new or funky software.
  2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

The next time you boot up look in Device Manager for any yellow 'flags' and right click the flag and read the error and tell us about it.
  3. -Kestrel-

-Kestrel- TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Sorry; meant to include that: Error 10, device cannot start. Which is what you'd expect if the drivers need to be reloaded. I can reload the drivers just fine from DevMgr; my question is why do they keep getting "lost"??
  4. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Although you're running Vista 64-bit, this could be spyware. The only anti-spyware utility I know that runs on Vista is Spybot Search & Destroy. Now, if it runs on Vista 64-bit, I'm not sure. But it's worth a try!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.