Audio Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downgraded my laptop to WinXP Pro and I am having issues getting my sound up. I installed drivers for the audio, and when I look in the device drivers, there shows no errors for sound at all. When I look in the sound options, it shows no audio device installed.

How can I go about and delete the drivers I installed so I can try something else? I don't know what was installed and where. Can I say it is safe to assume if I clear all the audio codecs that it should clear what I installed?

First, assume your sound card is bad. Test with another card. Sound cards burn out easily if they are over driven. That is the usual cause of the notice that no audio device is installed. Luckily they are inexpensive and easily replaced. Onboard sound is a bit more rugged, but can still burn out.
To best delete the drivers, go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager, then scroll down to the sound or audio section and either disable or remove what is there.
Reboot, then install your downloaded drivers. Reboot. You should have sound if sound card is not defective.

I'll try that now...the sound card should NOT be bad at all cause when I install Vista, it works perfectly fine. I'll let you know what happens in a minute. Thank you!

It sounds like your audio worked before you installed in vista. So I'm assuming something got messed up during your downgrade from vista to xp. Try and get rid of all related audio software/drivers and reinstall them. Also you might of had some vista specific drivers to your sound card that is now in your xp install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back