Audio Problems or Symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I'd like to say hello real quick. My computer is acting up and isn't reliable to stay running right now. This is also why I don't have the time to peruse the boards, sorry.

I am having trouble with my Avance AC97 Audio card, maybe. I am getting no sound. Not from my speakers or from my headset. There is no sound going in from the mic. on the headseat.

Was in the middle of a game yesterday, and pow, no power. Simply shut down. The back of the computer was warm to hot. Tried to restart, no go. 3 hours later it's cooled off starts up fine for 3 min. I took of the panel and hosed it out, dust everywhere. The power supply box was hot on bottom. Got it cooled off.

Then I notice no sound. I am getting a Code 10 for my Avance driver, and for my "PnP Bios 'somthing'", also my USB's are not working.

I uninstalled the audio driver and rebooted, Device detected, could not install.
USB still blinking like crazing in the taskbar. I had Restored the system yesterday morning before the problems and that doesn't help. E-machines help center eventually, after a gruelling 2 hour test of will said, "You need to buy our restore CD". That's gonna happen, not.

I guess I need to know. Is it my sound card, audio driver, Motherboard shot to where satan hangs his hat? Did the overheat damage something?

Any help is MUCH appreaciated.

P.S. I am currently running AdAware, SpySweeper and AVG to snoop around.

If your onboard audio is enabled in BIOS, it should work,

You will need to install your motherboard drivers which installs the audio driver, and you should be set, gl

OK, I replaced the Power Supply Unit (Internal) and Installed a cheap sound card. I now have sound and the computer no longer randomly shuts down.

I still get the 'Power Surge On Hub Port' message popping up in the taskbar. I also have no USB's now. They don't work.

So somehow my Power Supply, On Board Sound Card and USB's all went kaput in a manner that allows the computer to opperate normally.

I think I need a new motherboard, this sound right?

Did you try reinstalling your motherboard drivers? You can also get standard USB 2.0 drivers offline, but it depends on your motherboard if they'll work or not.

Your dying power supply mighta surged the motherboard and blown a few things out, so its entirely probable. I dont see why a surged motherboard would blow components and not general functionality though.

I'd say replace the motherboard, would probably fix your problems, whatever the cause.

Thanks foozy, I was gonna try that next. Don't want to spend a lot so I was just gonna straight replace it. $28 plus $7 for shipping ain't bad. It's 4 years old, LOL. When I get some bones I'm gonna upgrade or build from scratch.

I haven't tried reinstalling the motherboard drivers. I have a couple of friends. One is a system developer whose brother is big in nearly the same buisiness. The other just knows 'bout 'puters. I'll ask them how to do this, or you guys can tell me, lol. Thanks a lot again, I was completely lost.

I've learned quite a bit because of this though.

i'd agree with foozy.. cut power + cheap emachines PSU = headache.

Judging by you loosing your sound then USB, i also would say its your motherboard.. surprised you haven't lost anything else..

you can try reinstalling your motherboard drivers, no harm made.. just pop over to the emachines website and download the latest set for your PC, and follow the instructions there..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back