Audio streaming is now more popular than buying music digitally

midian182

Staff member

Nielsen Music has released its annual year-end report into the state of the music industry. It shows that 2016 saw an overall year-on-year volume growth of 3 percent, which was mostly thanks to on-demand audio streaming. And for the first time in history, streaming music services surpassed total digital sales.

On-demand audio was up 76 percent compared to 2015, when it surpassed 250 billion streams. The massive growth was enough to offset the decline in virtually all sales formats, particularly digital, which remains the most popular method of purchase but is still shrinking faster than physical sales.

There were a massive 431 billion songs streamed through audio and video sites in US throughout 2016. Audio-only streaming’s huge increase reflects the ever-growing number of subscribers and listeners to services such as Spotify and Apple Music. It made up 38 percent of total audio consumption last year, making it the most popular way of listening to music, according to the report.

“The music industry continues to grow at a healthy rate, and 2016 showed us that the landscape is evolving even more quickly than we have seen with other format shifts,” said David Bakula, SVP of Music Industry Insights. “Thanks to the rapid emergence of new technologies and channels for discovery and engagement, consumers are finding and listening to more music in new ways.”

While Rock remains the most popular genre when it comes to physical and digital album sales, streaming is dominated by artists from the R&B/Hip-Hop world. Canadian rapper and internet meme sensation Drake was the most-streamed artists by a large margin, with more than 5.4 billion streams. He also had the most digital song sales and the most heavily consumed album of the year – Views.

In July last year, BuzzAngle Music reported that audio streaming had become more popular than video for the first time in the US. 

Permalink to story.

I joined spotify premium a couple months ago and I have had no reason to go back, I can get almost every artist I listen too on demand (bar a few small bands and mixtapes- I can download mixtapes for free anyways), and download stuff to take with me anywhere. Combine with their algorithms for recommended artists and the personalized release radar, I've been a happy camper ever since. On top of that the amount I pay for a subscription a month is $8 compared to the $30 I would drop a month to buy albums.

Purchasing digital audio is expensive, even more so than actually buying a CD and you get nothing to show! On the other hand streaming is easy, convenient and cheap.

Purchasing digital audio is expensive, even more so than actually buying a CD and you get nothing to show! On the other hand streaming is easy, convenient and cheap.

Yup, I really hate the monthly subscription. I'm basically paying $14.99 for the same few albums that I listen to... over and over.

However, I wouldn't have discovered these few albums if it wasnt for Spotify's radio, and then I'm presented with a choice. Buy those few albums, and never listen to anything new, or keep Spotify in hopes that I'll continue discovering new music. So that's a little perplexing, but I just need to find new (free) ways to discover new music I like.

Edit: I have to add to this though. Whenever I want to listen to something old or new, I search for it and 99% of the time find it. I can't actually think of a time when I searched for something and didnt find it... maybe some obscure video game soundtracks... but you know, what am I expecting? lol

That, and situations where, "Ahhh man! YOU'VE NEVER HEARD THAT SONG?! Alright, hold on, let me pull it up on Spotify!" (Something I wouldnt have thought to have saved on my phone, or taken with me by CD.)

So you want me to pay and never own it? LOL I don't think so.
I'll listen to Pandora for free to discover new music but then I'll buy it to own it. If you think I'm going to be paying month after month and year after year and never have anything to show for it - you're mistaken.

Illegally downloading music from P2P sites is now more popular than streaming music.

Not sure I would agree with that, illegal downloading was way more popular than legal downloading for years but streaming is so convenient and YouTube as well, don't thinks so many people take the time to use P2P or torrents anymore with the risks of malware,viruses and fakes whats the point, although I'm sure its still a high figure worldwide.

Illegally downloading music from P2P sites is now more popular than streaming music.

Not sure I would agree with that, illegal downloading was way more popular than legal downloading for years but streaming is so convenient and YouTube as well, don't thinks so many people take the time to use P2P or torrents anymore with the risks of malware,viruses and fakes whats the point, although I'm sure its still a high figure worldwide.

Risk of Malware?

viruses?

I think not.

Back