TechSpot

Audio Trouble

By Ahmad447
Jul 30, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I received a Dell Inspiron 1150 for free recently but the audio does not work. It will not let me go to the sound control and when a put a cd in the drive it says an audio driver is not installed. I went to ny sounds folder in the control panel and a sound driver is not in there so i restarted my computer and find out its a SigmaTel 9750. I tried downloading the driver off a couple different sites but it will always give me an error at the end of the download that there wasnt an object or my system os was not right. I have a windows xp pro so I dont know what the deal is. Can someone please help
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go to the Dell website. You should be able to get the sound driver from there. See HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. Ahmad447

Ahmad447 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I downloaded the driver and at the end of the dowload it told me "device object not present"
  4. howard_hopkinso

Mmm strange.

Is the onboard sound enabled in the bios?

There isn`t a separate soundcard installed in the computer?

Check in your device manager and look for any yellow question or exclamation marks next to your audio devices.

Regards Howard :)
  5. Ahmad447

No i went to my device manager and there are no sound devices on the list, not even the one for the computer, SIGMATEL STAC 9750 . There are no exclamation marks either.
  6. howard_hopkinso

Go into your bios and make sure the AC97 sound is enabled. It`s probably listed under peripherals, or some such.

Once it`s enabled it should show up in your device manager.

The only other thing I can think of is the soundchip has blown. If that`s the case, then buying a separate sound card is the way to go.

7. Ahmad447

Im sorry but i dont know how to go under "bios" or even know what that is.
  8. Ahmad447

Can you please show me how to go to my bios?
  9. howard_hopkinso

I don`t know if this`ll help, but HERE is a link to your computer manual.

If that doesn`t help, maybe you should contact Dell.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.