TechSpot

Australian watchdog sues Valve over 'misleading' Steam returns policy

By Scorpus
Aug 29, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (the ACCC) has filed legal action against Valve in an Australian Federal Court for misleading consumers over warranties and refunds the company offers through Steam. It's alleged that in misleading consumers, Valve has breached...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

"Major Flaw" oh you mean like cod ghosts were it was alpha ready on release day and you said you don't refund, hope valve get sued big time.

I love steam but valve pull some nasty stuff on you its pathetic, they are alive because of us so PSS us off and we will destroy you!

3. Valve has been slacking off recently. Heck, even EA's Origin offers full refunds on games. The only two conditions are that if you have not launched the game you can refund within 7 days. If you have launched the game you can refund within 24 hours of the first launch. You can also refund a pre-order but I'm not sure what the conditions are on that.

robb213 likes this.
  4. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Guru Posts: 362   +49

I gotta say that I'm liking GOG more and more these days. It's not that I'm going to stop using Steam since some my games do require it and I like playing them, but Good Old Games is gaining a positive reputation for their DRM-free catalog and sales.

Valve needs to take notice and get with the program.

5. You should probably read a book instead of ending your Natty Lite bender with a purchase of Call of Duty on release day, bro.

6. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 315   +93

It especially bothers me that Steam pre-orders are refunded back to your steam wallet even though it came directly from a credit card for instance.

Origin, I would assume refunding pre-orders are a no hassle experience, especially since it's a product that hasn't even been released yet.