Australian watchdog sues Valve over 'misleading' Steam returns policy

Scorpus

Staff member

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (the ACCC) has filed legal action against Valve in an Australian Federal Court for misleading consumers over warranties and refunds the company offers through Steam. It's alleged that in misleading consumers, Valve has breached Australian Consumer Law.

The ACCC states that Valve mislead consumers by claiming they were "not entitled to a refund for any games sold by Valve via Steam in any circumstances". Valve also allegedly stated, wrongly, that it was not obligated to refund games if a consumer hadn't contacted the game developers about the issue first.

Despite being an American company with no physical presence in Australia, by selling games to Australian consumers through Steam, Valve must adhere to Australian Consumer Law. Part of this consumer law states that buyers are entitled to a refund if their product has a "major fault", and companies such as Valve cannot state that they do not offer such refunds.

Valve's Doug Lombardi released a statement regarding the ACCC's action, claiming that refunds on games are not offered through Steam unless required by local law, as stated in the Steam Subscriber Agreement. However, after a brief review, it doesn't appear that the agreement actually states that consumers can get a refund if local law requires it, so the ACCC appears to have a case here.

In the time being, Valve is "making every effort to cooperate with the Australian officials", and will continue to provide Steam services to Australians. Court predecings will begin in Sydney on October 7, 2014, with the ACCC seeking financial penalties and various declarations.

Permalink to story.

"Major Flaw" oh you mean like cod ghosts were it was alpha ready on release day and you said you don't refund, hope valve get sued big time.

I love steam but valve pull some nasty stuff on you its pathetic, they are alive because of us so PSS us off and we will destroy you!

Valve has been slacking off recently. Heck, even EA's Origin offers full refunds on games. The only two conditions are that if you have not launched the game you can refund within 7 days. If you have launched the game you can refund within 24 hours of the first launch. You can also refund a pre-order but I'm not sure what the conditions are on that.

I gotta say that I'm liking GOG more and more these days. It's not that I'm going to stop using Steam since some my games do require it and I like playing them, but Good Old Games is gaining a positive reputation for their DRM-free catalog and sales.

Valve needs to take notice and get with the program.

You should probably read a book instead of ending your Natty Lite bender with a purchase of Call of Duty on release day, bro.

Valve has been slacking off recently. Heck, even EA's Origin offers full refunds on games. The only two conditions are that if you have not launched the game you can refund within 7 days. If you have launched the game you can refund within 24 hours of the first launch. You can also refund a pre-order but I'm not sure what the conditions are on that.
It especially bothers me that Steam pre-orders are refunded back to your steam wallet even though it came directly from a credit card for instance.

Origin, I would assume refunding pre-orders are a no hassle experience, especially since it's a product that hasn't even been released yet.

Back