Autochk.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivyla

when the northeast blackout hit, it hit my computer too. When the power turned on, I turned my computer on and a blue screen came on and it said windows shut down.....I downloaded the 6 floppy disks and now its asking me where autochk.exe is. I tried windows\system\32 and that didnt work, next I tried to download it onto a floppy disk and told ot to look in the A drive. that didnt work. Please help me out. I have so many files I have to have.I have windows xp prof.

Autochk.exe runs anytime windows was not shutdown normally you can usually bypass it by pressing any key. what you might want to try is holding down a key while you boot. dont know if that will work or not. the other thing you could try is setting the computer to boot fromt he CD RoM first and boot off the XP CD.

OK I tried both suggestions and both didnt work. XP will not start up do to the error unmountable boot volume. I used the six floppy disks and thats where it is asking me where the autochk.exe is.I tried downloading it onto another floppy disk and tried to direct it the A drive,but it didnt work.

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
You will get a dos prompt
Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
"Y" and enter at the prompt
Then type "exit" and hit enter
The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.
This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

StormBringer thank you that is excatly what I did and it is asking me where AUTOCHK.EXE is??????

you are booting from the WindowsXP CD and it can't find the file? If so then your disc is trashed.

I don't understand why you can't load it from the bootdisk set though.

If nothing else works for you, you can try the repair option on the XP CD

Originally posted by ivyla
what disc is trashed??

By that I was refering to your CD. I don't understand why it can't find the file.

I also don't see why you couldn't use the repair option.

Do NOT use the floppy disks then. Use the XP CD. If you leave it in the CDROM and power on the computer, it will "boot" from the CD after the first BIOS screen.

If your computer boots from the hard drive still, then there's a setting you'll have to change in your BIOS to make your CDROM bootable.

I need help on this also. I don't have the xp cd but I do have the xp 6 disk bootdisk
now its asking me for the path to autochk.exe I have this on a floppy. How do I copy this file to the hd and continue with the installation?

when you turn the computer on, keep tapping del or pf1 or esc or some key that will get you to the BIOS.
find boot sequence in the BIOS
select "cd rom first" then whatever
save your settings and exit BIOS
you should have put the xp-cd in the cd rom drive first.
it will boot up from cd. when it sees that you already have the operating system on the hard disk, it will start the repair installation.
another way would be to save all your data by taking the hard drive out of that machine, installing it as a slave drive in another machine, saving the data somewhere else, taking it back out, re-installing it, and doing a clean windows install. you have to format the hard drive before you do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back