autochk not found [HELP ME PLEASE!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-kapa-x

i have a window xp home edition and it started three days ago when i turn on my computer it says autochk program not found - auto check skipped. Then it starts over and repeat the same thing. I'm using my friend's computer for now.
I don't have window xp cd and I login as safe mode neither. can anyone please help me. :dead:

Sounds like a "hidden NTFS" partion.

Either get a copy of the Partition Magic Boot Disks, or if you are comfortable with fdisk, use that. Set your XP partition to active, and you'll be set.

Regards Jase :)

if you can get to a command prompt you can type in the following command to disable an autochk on your C drive upon startup -

chkdsk /x c:

If i understand correctly and you can not even boot to windows or safe mode im afraid that your only other option would be to boot from a windows cd and run the above command in the repair console. i would also suggest running a chkdsk /f on the drive that you are having issue with, as it sounds like there could be some corruption on your dirve. Im afraid if you dont have a win cd or a way to boot to a dos prompt you will need to make a startup disk or borrow a win cd from another computer or user. You can make a startup disk by inserting a floppy disk into a windows system then run a format on the disk. You will have an option in the format window to make a startup disk.

Hope this helps.

i was just wondering should i should a used or new floppy disk for the ptedit, because it's showing "data error (bad CRC) reading error drive A"
it's a used floppy disk, but i've erased everything that was on it though

It would of been advisable to use a new floppy. But it won't make too much of a difference. There could of just been a problem with that floppy.

well it's still not working
and my Partition Magic table thing or whatever is fine
nothing wrong with that. what should i do?!

Did you follow all the instructions exactly?

When you did the did the disk on another computer, and then put it in the computer with the problem, did you set it to boot from floppy?

And then typed PTEDIT?

HERE'S another thread, with the same problem. Hope it helps. :)

Try this. On boot, tap f8 repeatedly, and select "Last Known Good Configuration".

yes i did..but i didn't take out the drive and put it in another computer..i know how to remove it, but dont know where to put it or the cords , so i don't want to do that and this one don't have drive A

All he actually needs is a windows boot floppy with chkdisk.exe on it. run it from the floppy and the problem may well be solved.

where can i found that at on the web?

ok i got another question....can i just download or get the autochk from another computer

You can, provided you use a boot disk to enable you to copy it to the pc with the problem.

can i download or get the autochk from another computer

i was just wondering can i download the autochk or get a copy of it on another computer??

ok...if i used 6 floppy disk for window xp boot disk, but dont got the win xp cd after i use the 6 floppy disks though

ok..i'll try to do that then
but which win xp bootable should i download?
thanx a bunch

which one should i download though for xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back