Autodetect keeps reinstalling integrated graphics and conflicting with video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I installed service pack 2 and now my computer is having all kinds of problems, of course the money mongers at microsoft tell me to ask HP, and the people at HP are complete *****s lately.

I spent hours trying to explain the problem to them and the best they could do was "oh just reinstall your graphics card, that will fix it" .... yea .... if you say so... (I tried that many times before even calling them)

Ok so the problem is.... I have a video card installed on my computer, my mobo has intel 82845 integrated graphics. I uninstalled the software for the integrated graphics, and uninstalled it in the device manager. I switched my display adapter to my PCI card instead of the onboard system in BIOS. I installed my video card and everything was working fine until I had to restart back a few weeks ago after I got SP2.

Basically on start up, windows starts normally and does not mention anything about finding new hardware.

However then once windows is running a little icon (which is the same as the update driver icon in the device manager) pops up in the system tray and says that windows has found a new display adapter, you cant click on anything or stop it in anyway. It just automatically detects and installs it. (its kind of the same as if you pluged in a plug and play USB keychain)

The beautiful thing about it is, that once you uninstall it from device manager you have to restart... and then on restart it gets automatically reinstalled.... and then you have to uninstall and restart... and well you can just keep going forever and ever until you start smashing things....

So my question is how can this be fixed? I can find no setting to disable automatic hardware detection (which i vaugely remember being able to do before SP2) and I cant get the damn integrated graphics to stay dead.

Even with the integrated graphics disabled but not uninstalled the drivers are still loaded and conflict with my video card like crazy. I used to be able to play farcry on high, now I cant even get battlefield 1942 to run higher than 3 fps. :mad: Even if it is disabled it will just get re-enabled on restart.

What would the BIOS "plug and play operating system" do?

I would really appreciate if anyone could help.

Have you disabled the onboard video with in BIOS?

And the plug and play might have something to do with it, but just leave that on.

Yes it is disabled in bios.

I ended up just disabling plug and play. My computer is packed full, there is absolutely zero probability that I would put anything in it, so its going to stay off until I build a new rig.

Unfortunately starwars KOTOR still plays like crap

I have the same problem

The internal graphics card keeps reinstalling itself, and when it does the screen turns black. I have found a workaround though. If I keep the "on-board" grapics activated in BIOS and have the on-board card inactivated in windows, the external starts as windows start. I cant see the boot sequence though... Must be an easier way!

Did you find any solution?

Nore has the answer, IF there is no way to truly "disable" the thing. The steps to take for getting rid of the on-board display involve the following:
1) Disabling in the BIOS (which doesn't always work, but sometimes will).
2) Check the manual for your system. Many have a jumper inside the case to TRULY disable the on-board video. Those with a jumper- this is the only way to truly disable the thing in HARDWARE so as Windows wont auto-detect and re-enable.
3) Last case scenario is to indeed allow the thing to install in Windows, then simply "Disable" in the profiles drop-down for the hardware in the Device Manager. This will allow Windows to recognize the hardware, but hardset to not enabling the drivers nor having it take any resources.

I don't recommend leaving PnP turned off in your BIOS. This disallows Windows to shuffle hardware addresses/resources for 'best fit' for your set of hardware. It's much better to see if the BIOS disable + if there is any jumper on the motherboard, with the last case scenario being leave it disabled in the Device Manager.

Windows is just doing it's job- which is to sense, identify and install any new/unfounded hardware. Once this is done, you can so-choose to flag it as disabled so it wont be allocated resources or used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back