TechSpot

Autosearch problems IE6

By res0hncx
Aug 26, 2003
  1. When I search from the adress bar, it starts searching with MSN, but then it redirects itself to some nobody's search engine, global-finder.com. I want to change the autosearch site back to MSN or to google. I have tried all the methods to search with google in the address bar, but it still does the same thing. Begins to search MSN, then redirects to global-finder. I created a keymark under SearchUrl in my registry to search google, but it is anoying to have to type 'g ' before every search. I'm thinking this doesnt have to do with my search settings, it may be something else causing it. PLEASE help! thankz

P.S. so u dont waste ur time telling me things I've already tried, I have tried changing the autosearch settings and messing around with Internet Explorer in the registry; and i dont want to get the google toolbar.

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I would run AdAware to see if any spyware is on your system.

BTW,
    :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

3. res0hncx

res0hncx TS Rookie Topic Starter

I actually just ran adaware a few hours ago, but there was no change.

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Have you tried spybot?

5. XtR-X

XtR-X TS Rookie Posts: 863

You may want to try a virus scan. There are viruses out there that just sit and wait for a trigger to the execution. Harmless at first.

6. Goalie

Goalie TS Booster Posts: 616

res0hncx, I would use msconfig and see what programs are running at startup. The fact that you can go to google's webpage and STILL end up redirected sounds like a TSR program running in the background sniffing your searches. This could be a virus, spyware, adware, or other.

I found this via google: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/darnit_2.htm

spywareinfo.com's stats indicate we're not the only ones looking for solutions to this either.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/cws/
    Appears to be relevant as well.

Hope this helps.

7. res0hncx

res0hncx TS Rookie Topic Starter

omg Goalie! that second link is it! I'm dloading CWShredder right now. Thanks so much everyone

8. subliminal

subliminal TS Rookie

I have a similar problem. I can't seem to get my address bar to search using Google instead of MSN. I have tried editing registry settings and changing search preferences in Internet Explorer and Firefox but nothing seems to work!

Can anyone tell me anything extra I could do to eliminate the msn.autosearch?

edit: ok I figured out how finally, by following links from related problems:

http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html

different registry settings that I wasn't aware of

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.