Avast or AVG

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby123

I have used both but for some reason I prefer avast for its layout and the fact it scans everytime I log on my pc. Which one would you lot recommend and what about a good firewall?

Hi,

You can actually set AVG to scan everytime you log on too. Either one do its job very well and I'd recommend them. I personally use AVG since it's the first antivirus I use and see no point in changing.

Here are some recommended software and links to them.

For firewalls please use one and only one. Using more than one is not recommended as it will hog your system resources.
Zonealarm
Kerio
Comodo

Here are some other miscelleneous programs which I recommend.
Spybot Search & Destroy. < use this if you have no other real time monitoring programs such as spyware doctor.
Ccleaner.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of bobby123 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Your in good hands momok has been around the anit-virus block a few times, however, beware that AVG, Avast and Antivir, have a little problem if you intent to paly on line games such as WoW. They frequently give false positives and will dump the game. There are work a rounds, I've fixed my daughters and she uses the AVG.

Hi,

You have to go to the scheduler under the Control Centre. Then, select and edit the properties of the test plan in basic mode.
Choose a time to schedule the daily scan, and check the box "if missed, start immediately when computer start-up"

Not exactly the same thing, but still close. You can set the time to some unearthly hour when you never use the system, so everytime you power up it will do a scan.

Do note that you shouldn't run 2 or more antivirus at the same time as it will cause system conflicts.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of bobby123 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Firewall-wise, I've used ZoneAlarm and Comodo and ZoneAlarm seems better. Comodo is quite odd and my AV never used to update even though I had allowed it access through Comodo. I re-installed ZA after un-installing Comodo and it updated perfectly. Although, ZA does have a larger footprint than Comodo does.

The problem I have with comodo is it comes up with messages a lot but my computer iletterate fmaily will struggle to use it when I leave for uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back