Resolved Avast thinks the download of GMER has a "win32:trojan-gen" infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignoramus

Hi,

I have another thread going where I am seeking advice for a virus issue on one of my computers. Out of interest (and a concern that I may have more hidden problems) I decided to follow the 8-step thingy on my second computer. When I attempt to download GMER on the second PC, avast tells me the file is harbouring a trojan (although this didn't happen when I downloaded it on the first computer). I know that I'm supposed to turn my antivirus off before running the program, but the warning (and quarantining of the file) is occuring during the file download, before I even attempt to run it.

Is Avast being over-protective? Or is there a problem here?

Thanks,
Bek

From your other thread:
I'm also a bit concerned because my computer is connected to my home and work networks - is it possible that I might spread the infection to other people?

There is a chance that the malware may have spread through the network, to the other systems- especially if you have used a Flash Drive to go back and forth. You also had 2 antivirus programs running on the other system- if you have the same on this system, you need to remove one of them.

Delete the setup you got for GMER. Then try for a new download and install:

Please download GMER: Go to this site http://www.gmer.net/files.php and click on Download EXE. Save the file to your desktop
Two other links for the download should you need one:
Link 2
Link 3
  • Double click on downloaded .exe file on the desktop
  • Select Rootkit tab> click Scan
  • When scan is completed, click Save button, and save the results as gmer.log
This screenshot HERE will show you how the display will come up.

Warning ! Please, do not select the "Show all" checkbox during the scan.
Post the log.

And if you would like us to check this system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .

By the way, you are not instructed to turn off the security for these preliminary scans. Occasionally, an AV program will have a 'Resident' that runs in Real Time and can cause a problem. In that case, we just ask you to disable the resident.

Please see Post #3 HERE for instructions in disabling the Avast Shields.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Hello again, and thanks once again for your help.

It wasn't that I'd downloaded gmer but couldn't open it - Avast wasn't even letting me download the file. I tried again today and it downloaded and ran just fine, so I don't know what the problem was. Thanks again anyway!

It's interesting that the AV programs get really picky sometimes! I don't know if it's an update or other. Sometimes it's as simple as a reboot to handle the problem!

Please leave logs when finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back