Avast vs WD opinions

learninmypc

A month or so ago I finally got tired of the pop ups avast was shoving at me telling me how many threats they have stopped worldwide & many other UNnecessary pop ups so I UNinstalled it & decided to try MSE.
Well, since WD is built in, I couldn't use it so I re enabled WD & have been using it.
All I want is a free AV that auto updates & easy to configure. Any ideas/suggestions? TIA :)

Windows Defender fits the bill...I back it up with Malwarebytes (free) which I run manually every few days.

Worst vector is phishing and nasty advertising, so I look at source on emails (MailWasher does that) and a combination of Flash Control / Ad Block / HTTPS Everywhere in Chrome.

I would like to hear about any other solutions for the risky mess that the internet really has become, especially anything which would cut off rogue encrypting/deleting. My solution on that is a 3 level backup offsite. I would rather just nail it before it happens.

I currently have & use Malwarebytes & use it 2 or 3 times a month since its usually clean, SpywareBlaster I know its NOT a scanner. Also SAS. I've been looking for UPdated tutorials on these but have had no luck, not even on bleeping computer.

[QUOTE="learninmypc, post: 1551646, member: 285861"SpywareBlaster I know its NOT a scanner. [/QUOTE]
Right, it's a controller for ActiveX components, and as AX has been decommissioned, it is not very relevant any longer.

@jobeard I fully understand that but its like a friend, I've had it so long, I'd feel bad letting go of it. Perhaps one of these days I'll say good bye to it, thank you :)

Back